recipe rescue: belgain dark gone wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

01steve

Reaction score
HELP!

i haven't been having any luck w/ a corsendonk-esque recipe. i'm realizing some of my mistakes and have since then tried to correct them.

in an effort to reduce the risk of homebrew twang i have been using 1/3 of my dme/lme @ the start of the boil. the rest went in @ flameout-... i believe this was causing some off-colors.

my current recipe is:
6oz biscuit
2oz chocolate
10oz caramunich
4oz aromatic
8oz special b
2oz simpson's coffee
2oz caramel 120
1lb amber candi sugar @ flameout
9.9 lbs. amber (LME)
4 AAU Styrian Goldings hops (1.33 oz. at 3% alpha acid) 60min
4 AAU Saaz hops (1 oz. at 4% alpha acid) 30min
Belgian abbey yeast slurry (White Labs WLP530 or Wyeast 1214)

this was kinda 2 recipes jammed into 1 w/ high hopes-...

i did make a starter but later found out that the starter was not big enough. luckily since then i found some brewing software to eliminate that possibility.

unfortunately the lack of yeast cause some banana aroma in the fermentor-... banana (to me) is the epitomy of evil. i hate the smell, taste, and sight of them! i cannot have that aroma in my beer! from what i've tasted in the 2ndry, it's got some hot solvently flavor.

i'm no longer trying to make this beer a clone-esque of corsendonk (unless it's still possible). i would like to rescue this batch though. is there any way to get rid of that banana aroma? is there any way to tone down the hot alcohol?

What temp did you ferment at? How long since you brewed?

If you are tasting hot solventy flavor, that is most likely from fermenting too hot.

@ about 72deg. it was brewed just before christmas. i racked to secondary late and haven't really had the heart to mess with it aside from some toasted oak chips.

If you were at 72 ambient the ferment temp could have gotten pretty high. The thing with Belgian yeasts is they do change a lot with age.At this point you may as well just let it finish up. Bottle it and set them aside for a few months. You will be surprised that the flavor will be a lot different.

Back