Recipe request - Greene King's Abbot Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teebob2000

Reaction score
Hi all - I'm looking to approximate pretty much my fave beer in the world, Greene King Abbot Ale. I searched the recipe dbase and could not find this in the English pale ales section so don't know if anyone's done this.

Drinking it canned here in the US really makes me miss the real thing!

Thanks in advance!
Tom

I just read on their website that they use Fist Gold, Challenger, and Fuggles. The yeast I couldn't find any info on and they don't list the Ibu's or EBC. Hen's tooth is bottle conditioned so maybe you could culture some from it. That's all I have, hope it helps.

Dave Line's Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy (1984/2002) has a clone recipe on page 91.

OG 1.049 FG 1.012

7.5 lbs pale malt
3oz crystal
2oz roast malt
8oz flaked maize
12oz soft brown sugar

3/4oz Northern Brewer 90m
3oz Goldings 90m
1/2oz Goldings 0m let soak for 15 after switching off the heat
1/4oz Goldings dry hop

Should get you started. Great book if a bit dated, some day I may just brew my way through it. It's worth owning a copy yourself.

It's worth noting that when Line came up with these recipes in the 80s he didn't have access to all the great stuff we have today. Plus the brewery may have tweaked the recipe in the past 30 years. So his clone is only a guideline but it may get you close and then you can tweak it in subsequent batches.

Back