Recipe Recommendations for AG Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvik

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I want to make an AG wheat but I'm a beginner and have basically no idea where to start. I might also not have the perfect ingredients

I would prefer the no-sparg method for the mash

Here's what I got:

12 lb Naheland Wheat Malt milled
2 lb flaked wheat
2 lb flaked oats
50 g Opal hops
11g Danstar Munich Wheat yeast

Anyone got some good recipe recommendations without expanding to much on the ingredients, or is this a bad combo? Thanks!

My GAWD that's a lot of wheat. You might want to cut the wheat down to say 50% of your grain bill. Wheat needs help converting starch into sugar, so another base malt like 2-row, 6-row, vienna, etc. is going to be needed or else your conversion will be low.

Also, wheat tends to be, well, boring. Doesn't have much body to it. I like to use vienna malt in a 50/50 ratio t my white wheat. The final product comes out with a nice mouth feel, instead of a thin flat something or other.

Also, keep the flaked adjuncts down to around 10%. They tend to make beer really cloudy.
Just my 2 cents.

My GAWD that's a lot of wheat. You might want to cut the wheat down to say 50% of your grain bill. Wheat needs help converting starch into sugar, so another base malt like 2-row, 6-row, vienna, etc. is going to be needed or else your conversion will be low.

Also, wheat tends to be, well, boring. Doesn't have much body to it. I like to use vienna malt in a 50/50 ratio t my white wheat. The final product comes out with a nice mouth feel, instead of a thin flat something or other.

Also, keep the flaked adjuncts down to around 10%. They tend to make beer really cloudy.
Just my 2 cents.

Nope, malted wheat has about the same diastatic power as malted barley. Either have enough diastatic power to convert about twice their weight in unmalted grain. Malted wheat is rarely used by itself since wheat has no hulls to form the filter bed and it tends to make a sticky mess that cannot be drained from the mash tun. I'd suggest you not use more than 50% wheat in your wheat beer and the remainder malted barley. A good handful of rice hulls will replace the hulls that wheat doesn't have.

Try about 50% Pale 2-row (or Pilsner), 35% German Wheat and then whatever grains float your boat for the remaining 15%. I usually use some Vienna and C20. I've done one with a small amount of Caraaroma. Another one had some chocolate wheat. A little Carapils will help with head retention.

Im no expert but, that seems like a TON of wheat. I just did a wheat with London ale yeast. I did 4lbs of Wheat Malt, 4 lbs 2 row, and 2 lbs flaked wheat. Using London ale yeast made it very clean and dry, as I was not going for the traditional wheat beer flavor. A little wheat goes a long way I have learned.

Nope, malted wheat has about the same diastatic power as malted barley. Either have enough diastatic power to convert about twice their weight in unmalted grain. Malted wheat is rarely used by itself since wheat has no hulls to form the filter bed and it tends to make a sticky mess that cannot be drained from the mash tun. I'd suggest you not use more than 50% wheat in your wheat beer and the remainder malted barley. A good handful of rice hulls will replace the hulls that wheat doesn't have.

If that's the case, then the numbers in my beersmith are all phucked up. Do you happen to know of a internet page where a person can get GOOD information on those numbers?

just to help clear up everyone's worries about so much wheat, i'm pretty sure the OP didn't give a list of what he was going to use in the beer. he gave a list of what he had, and then asked for recipe suggestions based on those ingredients. so saying that it is way too much wheat isn't really helping him form a recipe.

i like the suggestions of a little crystal malt and some kind of other specialty malt like vienna. the wheat in large portions will give a kind of twang, so even mashing for a medium body should help, along with the specialty malts.

Grodziskie/Gratzer is an ALL WHEAT style (100% oak-smoked wheat, Weyermann has a version, check your LHBS. myLHBS in Falls Church, VA is my source)

basically it's a SMaSH. the smoked wheat and noble hops

check out the beersmith podcast Dr. Smith did with Stan Heironymus.

I've brewed my version, used WLP036 Dusseldorf and it is probably the best brew I've ever done. trickiest part is the mash, it's 4 step and tough to do with infusions, but I did it. BIAB, so no stuck sparge, otherwise rice hulls are recommended

Is malted wheat harder to sparge?
I use BIAB so there is no problem, but the OP may need a good amount of Rice hulls.

If that's the case, then the numbers in my beersmith are all phucked up. Do you happen to know of a internet page where a person can get GOOD information on those numbers?

Are you sure you are looking at wheat malt? The defaults I see in Beersmith show a dp of 130-165 for domestic wheat malt, and ranges of 74-95 for continental wheat malts. Of course unmalted wheat like torrified and flaked have 0.

OP since you want to go with minimal added ingredients I would second the suggestion of Edwort's recipe that was linked. You would just need a few lbs of pilsner and then sub in your opal hops for similar IBU's and use your yeast. Later you can try it with some crystal or vienna to compare (or try your hand at decoction mashing).
:mug:

Back