Recipe... not quite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FxdGrMind

Reaction score
Ok so I had to make some substitutions to the authored M&J recipe as everything wasn't available at the time....

It's not bad, rather quite good, but I need some help on fixing it... making it better... even though another 2/3 weeks will mellow it nicely.

I substituted Cascade for Centenial hops and due to the lower IBU, I added 30% more Cascades. Then doubled the Dry hop. So the hop aroma and flavor is off, slightly more bitter than the flavor of true M&J and a little more hopy. But with some time it should tone down a little and be "Very" drinkable.

Ok so will the Centenial make a BIG difference? (Cascades seem harsh, how are they in comparison to Centenial?)

Secondly.

The color is a little off, it's too light. It needs to be darker.
I had 1lb Munich, .5lb Crystal 80L and .5lb Carapils malt.
As I was off on my OG by .008 I'm thinking that i could add more grains to change the color and flavor to enhance it more.
I think it needs to be 1/4 darker.. so any suggestions to add to the color and provide the additional suggars for a higher OG?

Cascades are harsh?

In my opinion Cascades are A LOT like Centennial, but the Centennial have a higher AA generally, making them more "harsh", or bitter.

Though I have to admit, in the grand scheme of things, Cascade and Centennial are very pleasantly hoppy compared to many hops.

I think the roughness you are tasting is not from the Cascade per se, but from the amount that you had to add to achieve the same level of bitterness. Lots of hops can add a raw, vegetal character that is not very pleasant. Also, how long did you dry-hop? Dry-hopping for too long can lend grassy flavors as well.

As far as flavor, Centennial is distinctly floral/perfumy compared to the spicy citrus of Cascade to my palate.

Centennial is distinctly floral/perfumy
End Quote

That's what I was thinking. The raw, aroma is there, the floral/fruit is what is missing. Dry hopped for 7 days unfortunately twice the amount 1 oz vs .5oz.

As I only could get Cascades, it lacks the complexity. Which I love in the origional M&J.

As the hop flavor mellows over time it will still be very good, just not what I want.

So I'll make a note to make sure to have the Centenial (rhizomes going in the ground this year) and compliment with Cascades (I'll have that growing too). Then Add to the grains, or would an addition of more LME (dark) be better?

Latest update.

3 months + since brew day.
Aged nicely as the grassy taste has gone and a smooth yet tasty hop flavor remains.

The saying, never dump a beer, has never rung more true! I just have to remember to age it 3 months next time! Alas it's going all too quickly now, soon to be a dreadful pull on the tap and ffffsssst... nothing. Oh the horror.

Now lets see what some more aging on my ESB does, as it's already aged 2 months and it gets better every time I try a pint.

Back