Recipe? My ingredients.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy_Burbank

Reaction score
Hi,

i’m about to make mead for the first time. My wife bought her mother some honey and yeast. Her mother used to make a much larger batch, so I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for 3 pounds of honey and a 5 g packet of Lalvin yeast.

Depends on the variety of honey you have but 3 lbs of honey + nutrients + tannin and water to make 1 gallon will produce a pleasant enough mead. Depending on the yeast you use that could be brut dry and that might be too dry for your taste, so you might hold back a quarter to a half pound of honey to back sweeten the mead (tho you would need to stabilize this before you add any more honey).
If you are looking for a more fruit forward mead (melomel) you would use the honey with any fruit you might otherwise add sugar to to increase the starting gravity. Could use mixed berries, mango, apple juice, pineapple, even lemon juice (skeeter pee) BUT generally (not lemon) fruit juice is likely to have a starting gravity of about 1.050 (plus or minus) so you want to add about 1 lb of honey to make a gallon of must when you use fruit juice.
Honey flows better when it is warm (Don't boil it despite the nonsense you find online). And honey has absolutely no nutrients for the yeast so if you are making a traditional mead (only honey and water) you want to add nutrient (Fermaid O or Fermaid K are good choices but Wyeast makes beer and wine nutrient and I use these all the time).
Good luck.

Hello, i want to start making melomel but i dont know how much o each ingredient i should put in it, can you help me?

Rolkouski, It's better manners in forums like these not to hijack a post (which is what your post does, even if that was not your intent). If you post your question as a new thread I will respond.:yes:

Back