Recipe Modifications with Coconut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmc5385

Reaction score
So I have been brewing for about a year now, using basic recipe kits from Northern Brewer. Now that I am more comfortable with the process, I am thinking of trying to change up the recipes and expand my game. For example, I love coconut beers, so I was thinking of brewing Northern Brewer's nut brown ale and adding some roasted coconut. Anyone have any advice on a good way to do this? At which step should I add the coconut and how much should I use for a gallon batch?

Hello and welcome!
I haven't used coconut, but a brown sounds like a good place for it. I would just do a search for "coconut" on this site and read the threads. When I pick an HBT recipe, I usually look for one with plenty of positive feedback. I also might search the net for coconut brown ale recipes. You might find a kit recipe you can emulate. To modify the NB kit, look for a coconut recipe of similar stats and use their method. It sounds good, keep us posted.

You can add coconut to the boil, towards the end, probably. But what I do for most additions is make a tincture of it - let the coconut steep in vodka for a week or two, then add the flavored tincture when you are packaging (kegging or bottling, doesn't matter), to your taste. In other words, you can add a little, add a little more, etc. until its at the level you want.

But just throwing in some towards the end of the boil works too and is pretty standard with coconut beers, I think.

Back