Recipe Kit Recomendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexavery

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew my second beer. I'm looking for an extract kit with specialty grains.

My first batch was a Nut Brown. I want something a little lighter as we head into Summer. I was thinking about the Liberty Cream Ale from Midwest, but I'm worried it will just taste like Old Miluakee or something. Any thoughts?

I don't love heavily hopped beers. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a little too hoppy for me.

Any thoughts on what might be a good kit for me? (ideally from Midwest or Northern since I live in the Midwest)

Thanks!

Midwest is for sure a good place to get beer kits... They offer tons of different kits there. The Cream Ale is exceptionally good and their Lawnmower de Saison is also very good. Can't vouch for any other kits from them yet, but if the others are as high quality as those, you should be good with anything. The Cream Ale and Saison that I brewed are perfect summer beers. May also want to try their Wit kit.

I'm getting ready to brew my second beer. I'm looking for an extract kit with specialty grains.

My first batch was a Nut Brown. I want something a little lighter as we head into Summer. I was thinking about the Liberty Cream Ale from Midwest, but I'm worried it will just taste like Old Miluakee or something. Any thoughts?

I don't love heavily hopped beers. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a little too hoppy for me.

Any thoughts on what might be a good kit for me? (ideally from Midwest or Northern since I live in the Midwest)

I only order kits if I can see the full recipe before I buy to decide if I like it or not; I don't like the idea of plonking down money and not knowing what I'm going to make until it shows up (and then needing to place a second order for more stuff if I want to tweak it instead of combining that with the first).

Northern Brewer definitely puts their recipes on the site so you can look at them. Midwest puts the grain bill in the description but I haven't been able to find the hops (I could be blind). That's still better than a lot of other places, but I wouldn't feel comfortable ordering a kit for my own use without knowing the full recipe.

I'm a fan of Brewers Best. They have steeping grains, un-hopped extract, hops and yeast. I do like to replace the yeast though. :mug:

My first brew is the red ale from here: True Brew Beer Kits

Quite a good kit, though follow the instructions found here rather than the ones in kit. I bought mine at my LHBS. We shall see how it tastes :)

I tasted a Kolsch again yesterday, from New Holland and loved it. A lighter style with a bit of hops (but not much). A hefe is a good choice, as is the Cream Ale, Wit, Saison, etc. Check the description of each and just pick one. The Wit and Saison are Belgian styles and use a special yeast, and stuff like coriander and orange peel.

I like Norther Brewers site for listing the ingredients. I've used them for recipe base before.

FYI - Some lighter styles may not need specialty grains.

I was thinking about the Liberty Cream Ale from Midwest, but I'm worried it will just taste like Old Miluakee or something. Any thoughts?

Midwest's Liberty Cream Ale is a good choice. I've only brewed three batches so far, so I don't have a whole lot of experience, but the Liberty Cream Ale is my favorite so far. It will NOT taste like Old Milwaukee. The cascade hops add a nice grapefruity flavor - perfect for the warmer weather.

I only order kits if I can see the full recipe before I buy to decide if I like it or not; I don't like the idea of plonking down money and not knowing what I'm going to make until it shows up (and then needing to place a second order for more stuff if I want to tweak it instead of combining that with the first).

Northern Brewer definitely puts their recipes on the site so you can look at them. Midwest puts the grain bill in the description but I haven't been able to find the hops (I could be blind). That's still better than a lot of other places, but I wouldn't feel comfortable ordering a kit for my own use without knowing the full recipe.

Midwest does list the entire recipe on their site. Under each beers description is "pdf product sheet". There you can view/print out the exact directions that come with each midwest kit.
Liberty Cream Ale w/ Munton's 6 gm dry yeast :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

Back