Recipe ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolero

Reaction score
This is what I plan on brewing today. Any suggestions appreciated.
A light lager.
1 Munton's Premium Lager Kit (3 pounds 5 ounces hopped LME)
1 pound extra light British DME
1/2 pound rice syrup solids
1/2 pound flaked maize

I have 1 ounce Cascade plug, 2 ounces Czech Saaz pellets, 1 ounce Hallertauer Mittelfruh pellets. How would you use these? I was thinking use the Cascade for bittering and use the Saaz for flavoring and aroma.

Also do I need to mash the flakes and/or rice solids before adding them or should I just boil them in the DME boil?

I'll use Wyeast 2112 California Lager at 60* (as close as I can to it).

The rice syrup solids can be used like extract. No worries there. The flaked maize, on the other hand, requires mashing with malted grain in order to convert. You're best off omitting that today.

Were I you, I'd boil the DME in a couple gallons of water with 1 ounce of Saaz for 20 minutes. Turn the burner off, add another ounce of Saaz and the tinned extract. Chill, top off, ferment.

There's no need to boil the Lager Kit extract; in fact, you shouldn't boil that. It's already bittered, so you can get away with a short boil with the DME and hops to impart hops flavor and aroma.

Cheers!

Bob

Thanks!
Your right I have no barley just extract. How about a half pound or quarter pound corn sugar?
And I plan to just add the boil to the fermenter with the "no boil" kit extract already in the fermenter. Mix it up real well to dissolve and aerate and add cold water to top off.

OK I did what you said, except the kit LME I just put in the fermenter and poured the boil on it.
Ice bath and added water to 6 gallons and have OG @ 1.034 @ 73*. Sound right? Just waiting to add the 2112.

Thanks Bob!
I hope you're right. I tasted the sample for the OG and it was nasty, maybe cause I just rinsed out the beaker with star-san before taking the sample I hope.

Ahh, it's happily bubbling away now at 61*.:mug:
Not too worried about that nasty taste now either. I had bottled a batch of wine the day before and it's pretty young and rough. Guess that ruined my taste buds cause the beer I drank later last night after all the brewing also tasted yukky.:drunk:

Back