recipe ideas for next week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krenshaw

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i don't like seeing that i have 3 of my 4 carboys empty in my basement.. my birthday is november 5th so i decided to take the day before off and brew 2 batches of beer.. daughter will be at school and wife will be at work, so no distractions = enjoyable brew day..

i already have an oatmeal stout that i'm going to brew and i'm looking for suggestions for a 2nd one.. i currently have an imperial stout that just started in bottles, and a pumpkin ale on tap right now.. big fan of malty beers like browns and reds, though i do tend to enjoy some lighter ones, just no IPAs usually for my wife and i.. i don't have any good setup to lager yet, my basement is currently a nice 60-62 degrees so perfect for my normal ales..

looking for suggestions for what my 2nd brew could be.. not a stout, since i'll have 2 available when the oatmeal is ready to drink, but any other suggestions welcome..

Ooh, if you love malty then a Scottish is perfect. Using Scottish Ale yeast will give you that awesome big malty flavor.

was thinking of a scottish myself earlier, never made something like that.. i think i found a nice big one that'll be good to bottle in an old BYO magazine.. thanks!

I don't think an old BYO magazine will hold the liquid adequately! :drunk:

I used to make a pretty nice Scottish Ale, that was my wife's favorite:

62.5% base malt (I suggest Maris Otter or Golden Promise)
18.75% Crystal 60
12.5% Munich
6.25% Torrefied Wheat

A little peated malt sometimes is a nice touch, too.

Hops are your choice, but I usually bittered with Perle, then added some Tettnang about halfway through the boil. I know the Tettnang isn't true to style, but I liked the earthiness. Typically I'd use about an ounce of each.

(FYI, my name for the beer is The Midwife's Ale.) And now I'm thinking I may have to brew up a batch -- it's been a couple years since I've made it!

Back