Recipe idea using leftovers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loapathy

Reaction score
8# Pale Malt 2 row.
2# Munich
1# Vienna
8oz Crystal 40
2oz Chocolate Malt
2oz Honey Malt

.5oz Nugget (60 min)
.5oz Fuggles (30 min)
.5oz Kent Goldings (15 min)
.5oz Nugget (10 min)

And if I want to bump the ABV I've got Dextrose and Candi sugar, but I'm not worried about that.

My question, if this recipe is even worth making, is what yeast should I use?

For yeast I've got Pacman cultured from a Rogue Double Dead Guy (is that even pacman? My attempts to use pacman have it dying off around 7%); Wyeast California Ale; Wyeast Irish ale; Wyeast Belgian Strong Ale; Wyeast German Ale... all from washing and storing. Or if I want I can go buy some, but I'm trying to make something from what I've got on hand.

Doesn't sound bad at all to me, it'll be on the malty side with all the Munich and Vienna but I think it'll be good. Calculate the IBUs though (beeer calculus is free), I'd shoot for at least 40 and you could definitely go higher. I would probably like a later hop addition as well but that might lower the ibus too much considering what you have.

Those hops would but it in the low 60s, as far as I can tell. Is that wrong?

EDIT: not 60s, 40s.

Hmmmm I'm getting 36.9 IBUs from Beer Calculus with that schedule, what are your AA percentages?

I would probably hop like this:

.5oz Nugget (60 min)
.5oz Nugget (45 min)
.5oz Kent Goldings (5 min)
.5oz Fuggles (1 min)

This comes out to 40.7 IBUs assuming the standard AA amounts on Beer Calc.

I've got Nugget at 13%
Kent Goldings at 5.8%
and Fuggles at 4.5%

I've never really checked the AA ratings before in different programs; that's what it says on the packages.

Looks like a candidate for a Brown Ale....possibly? Maybe with the Pacman or California yeast? IBUs look about right....40 is maybe on the high side, but I wouldn't hesitate to brew it.

I think I might go to the LHBS to get more hops. I like hopped-to-hell beers, even if it breaks style. Ha.

If I wanted to bump this up to about 70 IBUs or so, what's a hop that'd compliment it well?

I think I might go to the LHBS to get more hops. I like hopped-to-hell beers, even if it breaks style. Ha.

If I wanted to bump this up to about 70 IBUs or so, what's a hop that'd compliment it well?

It'll be pretty bitter if you get it up that high. If you want more hop character just add more late in the boil, I'd probably stick with Fuggles or Willamette.

Back