Recipe Help from Joy of Homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jota

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I got all the parts for my Hoegarden clone yesterday from the brew store. I based the recipe off of Joy of Homebrewing. I accidentally left my book over at my SWMBO's house (just a girlfriend, but just as fierce) and she's angry with me so i figured it a good time to brew, but obviously don't have the book to look at the recipe. I have all the parts (the DLME, orange peel, coriander, light honey, hops and yeast), and know its a 60 min boil but don't know the specifics of when to add what. Anyone able to help me out? To avoid letting everyone know the recipe, you could just say "half your total hops, half your total coriander, etc @ 60 mins" . I know this is an odd request, but i don't see this recipe in the database (i do see others, but they do not match my ingredients).

Thanks for the help
john

WHat beer did you base it off of in Joy? I've got the book in front of me and would be glad to write up the info if I knew which recipe...I couldn't find Hoegarden in the index....

its in the middle of the book. its the page right after Itsok German Kolsch. I think tis called Whose in the garden?

thanks so much!

Who's in the Garden Grand Cru:

Add malt extract, honey and 1 oz. hops to 2 gallons of water and boil for 45 minutes. Then add 3/4 oz. of crushed coriander and 1/2 oz hops and boil for 10 more minutes.

Then add 3/4 oz. of crushed coriander and orange peel and boil for 5 minutes. During the final 1-2 minutes, add the 1/2 oz. hops.

5# light or Xtra DME
2# Light Honey
1oz Hallertauer hops (bittering)
1/2 ounce Hall (flavor)
1/2 ounce Hall (aroma)
1 1/2 ounces Corriander seeds
1/2 ounce dried orange peel

Belgian Wit yeast...

His recipe....

Extract/honey/1 ounce Hall hops to 2 gallons of water, boil for 45 minutes...

@ 45 add 3/4 ounce of crushed corriander seed and flavor hops.

@ 5 minutes add remainder of coriander and orange peel

@ 1-2 minutes remaining add remaining hops....

Honestly, I would NOT boil the honey til the last 15-20 minutes or else you'll boil off the flavors and aromas of the honey. Nor would I add all the DME at the beginning....The beer will be darker than you want (I'm in favor of the late extract method, especially when using light or extralight DME)...I would add ONLY 2 pounds of the Dme initially, and work the rest into the last 20 minutes of the boil (along with the honey)...

Good luck!

jota said:
Hey guys,
I accidentally left my book over at my SWMBO's house (just a girlfriend, but just as fierce) and she's angry with me so i figured it a good time to brew, but....

You'll have to tell us about this when you are done brewing. What did you do? :D

Most of the time when I brew it annoys SWMBO. The smell is the trigger.

I wish I could brew everytime SWMBO is pissed. I'd have an awesome supply of HB. :rockin:

thanks so much guys. I will follow revvy's tips above as well. i went to my lhbs and they did not have light honey, but they told me to go to an asian supermarket and they should have it. I went there and they had all sorts of honey, except of course the one i needed. I chose the lightest version they had, called clove honey. that should do right?

oh and what i did was not get up till 10 on a sunday (i get up at 6 M-F for work and don't get home till 8-9, i figure i deserve to sleep in when i can), which caused her to go into a fit of rage. all should be well soon enough though

ok last question. first time using a sparge bag. i just threw my hops in there, tied a knot and plopped it in there. that right? then when i need to add the coriander, orange peels and other hops, take it out untie, add and plop back in, right?

You usually use one hop or ingredient bag for each addition....or you can just chuck everything in the pot and strain it when you dump it in the fermenter...I used to use hopsacks, but have just done the dump and strain method for the last few batches...Some people use big tea balls instead of hopsacks....It's really a matter of choice.

I was thinking of making a Belgian wit as well. How crucial is honey as an ingredient? I’m leaning towards the AHS kit (which has no honey at all), and I’m hoping to brew something that comes as close to Hoegaarden as possible. Should I order the kit and get some clover honey with it?

Back