Recipe help for unknown noble hops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CUSTOM-441

Robobrew v3.1 35L
Reaction score
Hey gang, a friend of mine recently gave me ~14oz of fresh hops from his property. I dried them out, vacuum sealed them, and chucked them in the freezer. I'd like to brew with them sooner than later, and it'll also be my first time brewing with hole cone hops. I took them to a local brewery for a friend to check them out and he thinks they're an old world noble variety of some kind. Likely some type of Goldings. I already have an ESB on tap, so I'd like to brew something different if I can. My recipe building experience is.... limited at best, and I'd like to brew something decent to share with the friend who gave me the hops. Was thinking of bittering with Magnum, and chucking a bunch of these in at the end. Any ideas? Grain bill suggestions? Hop schedules? Thanks in advance!

I took them to a local brewery for a friend to check them out and he thinks they're an old world noble variety of some kind. Likely some type of Goldings.

FYI (and your brewery friend's info), none of the hops called "Goldings" are noble varieties.

Was thinking of bittering with Magnum, and chucking a bunch of these in at the end. Any ideas? Grain bill suggestions? Hop schedules? Thanks in advance!

Without knowing what they are, it's hard to give advice. But if you want to feature the hops, keep the grain bill simple (maybe a single malt), and maybe use your mystery hops at 10 minutes and at flameout. Maybe an ounce or ounce and a half (per 5 gallons) at each addition. Maybe figure about 4-5% Alpha Acids for the mystery hops, and get the rest of your IBU target from the Magnum. A lot of maybes.

I'd go with something simple MO or Standard 2-Row...maybe a little crystal 10-20 for some color and let the hops shine through with the times mentioned above.

Your profile says you're in Canada, my guess is the hops is Cluster or something from that family.

FYI (and your brewery friend's info), none of the hops called "Goldings" are noble varieties.

Regarding my buddy's opinion of the hops - likely paraphrasing trouble on my end. I trust his opinion, and yours! I like your hop schedule, and I'll likely follow it to a tee and see what happens. I have enough to experiment over a few batches.

I'd go with something simple MO or Standard 2-Row...maybe a little crystal 10-20 for some color and let the hops shine through with the times mentioned above.

Planning a 90%/10% MO/Caramalt grain bill with Nottingham yeast. I've never used Caramalt before but I have some kicking around. From what I've read it's similar to a light crystal. Should lend a little sweet and help with foam without shining through too much. We shall see!

Back