Recipe Help for 1st AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flananuts

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi there

I'm purchasing my ingredients for my first all grain beer and I need some help. I'm trying to do an AG version of Papazian's Palilia Pale Ale recipe which is an extract beer with partial grain soak. What would I need to do in order to calculate what my grain bill should be if I have the malt extract ingredients and I know what my OG goal is?

Thanks

Flananuts

here's the formula:

[(original gravity - 1) * 5] / [(Grain gravity - 1) * (efficiency)] = total pounds of grain needed.

The grain gravity is the gravity of one pound of grain in one gallon of water with perfect extraction. (Look this number up in a chart)

or

you could just let beer calculus figure it out for you:

Beer Calculus . homebrew recipe calculator

I'd suggest figuring the mash efficiency on the low side for your first batch. My first batch came out at 62% efficiency and my second batch was 70%.

..."If AG beer kits were cool I'm Miles Davis"..... thanks for the help. With the electric HERMunster downstairs now ready to fire up and every part being custom and thought out I have to do this the hard way :). Conroe and brian_g thanks for the links. I'm going to use that as the base. When I was partial mashing I would increase the extract by about 30%, double the hop bill, and use an English Special. I'm going to attempt something similar here.

I'll let you know how this goes, ordering the ingredients today.

Back