Recipe Help Crack'd Wheat New Glarus style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBRmeASAP

Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone has tried the Crack'd Wheat, but I'm hooked on it, and want to try something simular. I've only done extract kits and have never tried to piece a recipe together so I'm completely lost and hope to get some direction for the experts.
On the label is states it's a marriage of a Bavarian Hefewiss and an American Pale Ale, with Amarillo dry hopping. Using a Bavarian Weiss Yeast.
It also says "to savor the fierce onslaught of clove, cinnamon, and citrus nose"
I'm not looking to cone this, but make something simular.
Plans are for a 5 gallon batch. Forgive me for having no clue what to start with or any other plan/knowledge on this, as I have been doing simple kits and trying to expand my knowledge on brewing.
Hope to get this rolling next week when I empty my carboys, but just starting to plan ahead

Keep in mind i have never had this beer (or brewed the recipe listed below), but this is just a shot to get the ball rolling and have other people chime in with suggestions:

7 lbs wheat extract
1 lb crystal 20
1 oz Amarillo @ 60
.5 oz Amarillo @ 15
.5 oz Amarillo @ 5
1 oz Amarillo @ dry hop
Wyeast Bavarian Wheat 3638

The clove comes from the yeast and the Amarillo hops are citrusy, but I'm not sure where the cinnamon comes from. Maybe add a tablespoon or so to the boil?

Anybody else want to chime in?

hey there old thread.....

I'd like to take a "crack" at this myself, as I really enjoyed crack'd wheat back when I lived in WI (and most all New Glarus beers).....it was a very refreshing tasty brew with a nice little bite to it. Hoppy wheat beers can be really good, and CW was proof.

5lbs red wheat
3 lbs pilsner
2 lbs vienna
1oz cascade - 60 min
.5 oz cascarillo - 15 min
.5 Amarillo - 5 min
2 oz Amarillo dry hop
wyeast 3056 or 3068

who thinks it'll fly?

That is a freakin delicious beer. I've only had it once, but that sounds like a great start for a recipe snailsongs. Or maybe back off on the vienna and use some munich and/or caramunich. Brew it so that you may do a fresh side by side when it comes out in April. Hmmm I may have to do that myself. Anyone ever cultured NG's proprietary hefe yeast from a bottle?

I went with Vienna because it tends to give that pale orange tone to a light beer, which I remember crack'd wheat having. If I just used Pilsner and wheat it would come out too soft and light, yet I feel that Munich is a bit to dark and rich in malt flavor......Vienna is usually a great addition to any APA anyway.....

I think the grain base needs to be rather light, as with a hefe, in order to let the yeast and hops shine here, since they make up the predominant flavors in crack'd wheat.

Back