(Recipe Help) Convert Extract - to - PM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCADJockey

ALL YOUR BASE
Reaction score
Hi! I have on hand, 6 lbs. Muntons DME and a large supply of whole cone nugget hops. Can anyone help me make this into a partial mash recipe? Any style is fine. I am an IPA fan so I am not worried about bitterness or not but am also not specifically looking for an IPA recipe since I've got a lot of IPA bottled up. I do have a packet of US-05 yeast as well but would just pick up something else if that is suggested.

It doesn't have to be complicated, just looking for a simple recipe to use up some ingredients and fill a carboy. Would greatly appreciate the help!

Oh right. I've also got about 2.5oz Citra Hops as well, so this is on-hand:

6 lbs Muntons DME
50+ oz. Nugget (whole)
2.5 oz. Citra (pellet)
1 pk. US-05

Should I just grab a couple pounds of some grain, have it crushed and do a PM with that and just see what happens?

How big of a partial mash do you want to do, or are you talking just steeping grains? If it's the latter then super simple would be to steep about a lb of the crystal of your choice, use all your DME, and then a hop schedule something like this for an APA:

.5 oz Nugget at 60 (or to get the IBU's you want)
.5 oz of Citra at 15, 5, and 0 respectively
dry hop with the remaining oz of citra

I'm getting about 1.056 and 49 IBU's for a 5 gal batch.
You could replace some of your DME with base malt for a partial mash.

How big of a partial mash do you want to do, or are you talking just steeping grains? If it's the latter then super simple would be to steep about a lb of the crystal of your choice, use all your DME, and then a hop schedule something like this for an APA:

.5 oz Nugget at 60 (or to get the IBU's you want)
.5 oz of Citra at 15, 5, and 0 respectively
dry hop with the remaining oz of citra

I'm getting about 1.056 and 49 IBU's for a 5 gal batch.
You could replace some of your DME with base malt for a partial mash.

I just wanted to keep it simple and do a 5g batch adding a grain to what I already had. I've never used crystal, thank you. I may just try that, just was not sure how much to use and what it would potentially end up making.

edit: Sorry, I just have a brew bag that I mash in but normally have a recipe I'm working from. So I wasn't sure what to do with these leftovers. Thank you!

I picked up some crystal malt yesterday, and am going to give this a shot:

1 lb. Crystal Malt
6 lbs. Muntons DME
Homegrown Nugget hops

I read that the crystal is a specialty and that it doesn't get mashed, you just steep it. So just steep the crystals at 155* for 20m? I'm not sure how much to steep it in though or does it not really matter as long as you end up with the volume you want?

That is correct, much of their starches have already been converted to sugars so they don't have to be mashed (though they can be included in the mash if you were doing one). Since you are not mashing water volumes and temp are not critical, so 150-160* in your boil volume is fine.

That is correct, much of their starches have already been converted to sugars so they don't have to be mashed (though they can be included in the mash if you were doing one). Since you are not mashing water volumes and temp are not critical, so 150-160* in your boil volume is fine.

Thank you! Sorry to pester any more than I already have but... just to finish this as simply as possible..

In 3.5 gallons:

Boil 4 lb DME 60m
Hops
Add 2 lb DME at flameout
Add the steeped liquor from Crystal
Top off to 5 gallon
Cool & pitch US05

Does this look acceptable or am I doing something wrong?

The liquor from the crystal would be included in the boil - so steep that first in your kettle, take out the grains, bring the water up to your boil volume if needed, then start your boil with the DME.

BTW, this a forum for asking questions so don't feel like you're pestering anyone. :)

The liquor from the crystal would be included in the boil - so steep that first in your kettle, take out the grains, bring the water up to your boil volume if needed, then start your boil with the DME.

BTW, this a forum for asking questions so don't feel like you're pestering anyone. :)

Really appreciate it. I just wasn't sure what to do recipe wise since it is all just left over stuff I have, aside from the crystal I picked up to try. I may only use 3 oz of the hops, I'm not sure since I've never tried Nugget before, or whole cone. I just want enough so that I can see what they are like since we grew them. The boil volume was what concerned me really, just kind of guessing at how much. Thanks a ton, this seems like it should be easy enough to do after work.

Ok, I did this last night so I just have a few questions wrapping up in order to refine my process:

The recipe I used:

Homegrown SMaSH (5 Gallon)

Steep 1 lb. crystal 20L for 30 min at 155*, in 3.5 gallons;
Removed grains and brought the liquor up to a boil;
Added 4 lbs. DME, 60 min. boil
Added 1.5 oz. Nugget whole leaf, 60 min. boil
Added 1.50 oz. Nugget whole leaf, 30 min. boil
Added irish moss at 15 min.
Added 1 lb. DME at 0 min., removed from burner and stirred for min. or two;
Topped off to 5 gallon;
Chilled to 60*, Took OG 1.042, Pitched US05, Placed in swamp cooler at 60*.

- I did not have as much DME as I thought, originally thinking I had 6 lbs. The OG measured a little lower than planned.
- I realized the brewpot I spent extra money on is double walled and takes a long time to heat and a very long time to cool, but holds temp extremely well... Should I have steeped the crystal seperately, while starting 3.5 gal to boil... and added the liquor to that once it was boiling and when I added the first hops and DME? Once I had the liquor and began to raise to a boil, it dawned on me that maybe I had done it wrong. Being it took another 10-15 min to take it from the steeping temp to boiling temp., I wondered if that extra time will affect the way crystal was supposed to come out. If that makes sense. Essentially I fear the liquor was overcooked and am curious if there is a better way to do it or if I am over-thinking it.

The only other problem I have is now all my carboys and buckets are full... I have to wait to make more beer or buy more carboys. Must make more!

Now that it has been about a week, I am beginning to wonder if adding 1 lb. of crystal was too much. The wort definitely tasted very sweet, honey-like with no hint of the nugget hops... although I had been having a few IPA's at the time.

Latest posts

Back