Recipe formulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Britinusa

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been making my own recipes for a month or so and I tend to use whole pounds or 1/4 1/2 pounds of grains, how do you decide how much of each grain to use?
I use brewers friend recipe builder to get the style im looking for, as far as the color goes.

When brewing a new style for the first time, my process usually starts with me reading up on maybe 5-10 well-regarded recipes from the style which gives me a very rough idea of what the grain bill typically looks like. From there I decide what characteristics I want to move foward or push back in the flavor profile and I start building from there using brewsmith (brewers friend is just fine for this). I tend not to worry so much about 1/2 or 1/4 lb increments and focus more on percentages. I also brew smaller batches than most so its a bit tougher for me to keep to nice round numbers.

Back