Recipe for Review: Shamrock Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wreck99

Wrecked Brewery
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Trying my hand at creating a recipe for a chocolate mint stout. What do you guys think of this combo? BeerSmith shows this in range for the style. Just curious about the community thoughts on it. Thanks!

6 gallon batch

Grains:
- 11 # 2-row
- 2 # Melanoidin
- 1 # Chocolate Wheat
- 1/2 # CaraAroma
- 1/2 # CaraMunich

Hops:
- 1 oz Nugget @ 60
- 1 oz Crystal @ 30

Yeast:
- WLP007 - Dry English Ale

Extras:
- 12 oz Cacao Nibs (Secondary)
- Vanilla Bean or 2 (Secondary)
- Some mint leaves (Secondary)

Est OG = 1.069
Est IBU = 42
Color = 33.7 SRM
Est ABV = 7%

I'm hearing from other places I've posted this that maybe it's a little much on the melanoidin? I've never used so I don't know. Bump for thoughts on this recipe? What should I move around? Keep in mind for fun I'm trying to do all Weyermann on this.

Yes, the amount of melanoidin looks a bit high to me. The most I would use is 8-10oz.
I'd reduce the melanoidin and substitute Maris Otter or Munich 10L to meet your required gravity.

Second, a stout might contain a bit of roast barley for color and flavor, so you could add that, too, if you wish.

Yeah, originally I was going to use Victory and Weyermann suggested Melanoidin in it's place and I didn't think to change the amounts. The gravity is already a bit high so I may just reduce the Melanoidin and maybe add a little roasted barley.

I like the yeast choice, nicely attenuative, but would raise the mash temp to 152F or higher to keep some unfermentables. You have plenty of base malt to handle some adjuncts, too.
Did you consider WLP002? Less attenuative yeast but similar in attributes.

I'm actually switching to WLP 002 because I now have it on hand. Also considering 154F mash actually to keep it a little thicker. This is supposed to be a dessert beer of sorts, chocolately, malty, and rich. Hopefully I achieve that.

As for the Melanoidin, I was reading that Weyermann suggests up to 20% of the grist can be melanoidin so I could stay there or maybe split it up 1# melanoidin, and 1# munich. Still sorting this one out.

Maybe something like this...

6 gallon batch

Grains:
- 10 # 2-row (72%)
- 1 # Munich I (7%)
- 1 # Melanoidin (7%)
- 1 # Chocolate Wheat (7%)
- 1/2 # CaraAroma (3.5%)
- 1/2 # CaraMunich III (3.5%)

Hops:
- 1 oz Nugget @ 60
- 1 oz Crystal @ 30

Yeast:
- WLP002 - English Ale

Extras:
- 12 oz Cacao Nibs (Secondary)
- Vanilla Bean or 2 (Secondary)
- Some mint leaves (Secondary)

Est OG = 1.065
Est IBU = 43
Color = 33.6 SRM

I also found another recipe in which mint was put into the final beer very nicely, so I may try that method instead. First time adding mint to beer. They suggested 1 oz fresh spearmint and mint life saver at end of boil lol.

Without roasted barley, it's not a stout. You need black barley or roasted barley to make it have that "stout" roasty character. You've got a very malty brown ale currently, which may be fine if that is what you want but definitely not a stout!

Without roasted barley, it's not a stout. You need black barley or roasted barley to make it have that "stout" roasty character. You've got a very malty brown ale currently, which may be fine if that is what you want but definitely not a stout!

Heh I was waiting for someone to point that out. Yeah, it did feel a bit weird not putting roasted barley into a stout. I pulled the original recipe (before I tweaked the hell outta it) from a good source and they didn't have roasted barley in it either and its called a stout. Weird. I agree with you and I think I'll be adding in a touch of roasted barley for the style to be right.

Trying my hand at creating a recipe for a chocolate mint stout. What do you guys think of this combo? BeerSmith shows this in range for the style. Just curious about the community thoughts on it. Thanks!

6 gallon batch

Grains:
- 11 # 2-row
- 2 # Melanoidin
- 1 # Chocolate Wheat
- 1/2 # CaraAroma
- 1/2 # CaraMunich

Hops:
- 1 oz Nugget @ 60
- 1 oz Crystal @ 30

Yeast:
- WLP007 - Dry English Ale