Recipe for Lightest in color IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpsterboy

Reaction score
I want to make an American IPA that is very light in color. What malt would I want to use. Just started all grain, last batch a used malteroup 2-row and honey malt. It came out a little darker than I would like. Any suggestions? I like it super hoppy, so I will play around with the hop schedule, but I want it light, I don't like it malty.

"light" and "not malty" are not synonymous. For example, Maris Otter would have a much richer and maltier flavor at about the same color as pilsner which would be comparatively less flavorful. You could try making an "IPA" from just pilsner malt. I wouldn't, but you could.

Floor malted bohemian pilsner is under 2L but it is also under modified and needs to be stepped mashed. May I suggest Chardonnay? ;)

I want to make an American IPA that is very light in color. What malt would I want to use. Just started all grain, last batch a used malteroup 2-row and honey malt. It came out a little darker than I would like. Any suggestions? I like it super hoppy, so I will play around with the hop schedule, but I want it light, I don't like it malty.

2 Row is 2.0 SRM
Honey Malt is 25.0 SRM
The overall color you had is dependent on the ratio of Pilsen to Honey you used. For example, 50% each would be about 14 SRM, if you used 80% 2 row it would be about 8.8 SRM.

If you want lighter, use something else instead of Honey. For instance, if you did an IPA using just Marris Otter (3.0 SRM for Thomas Fawcett), it would be 5.1 SRM (assuming a 10# grain bill, which is a bit on the low side).

Or, do a 1/2 Pils + 1/2 MO. For instance, a 6# Pilsen + 6# MO would result in an SRM of only 4.4, pretty light colored.

Some grain SRMs:
Pilsen 1.0 SRM (Briess)
Golden Promise (2.0) (Simpsons) (Similar to Marris Otter, Scottish, sweeter?)
Vienna Malt 3.5 (Best Maltz?)
Munich 9.0 SRM

Hope this helps...

Did a very light one recently. 90 percent MO and 10 percent table sugar. Og 1.047, bittered to 70 ibus. Great beer. Roughly the color of bud.

You could also use rice for part of the grain bill, especially since you're trying to avoid a malty flavor.

I had some 2 row that was 1.8srm. Use a light colored malt and use either sugar or rice to supplement some fermentables to keep it really light.

Latest posts

Back