Recipe for leftover ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LotterBrau

Reaction score
Hi,

Thank you for adding me to the forum!

I have bought a couple of leftover ingredients from the local brew shop, as our country is under Covid-19 lock down and NO alcohol sales are allowed!

Yes, and I am new to brewing and don't want to mess up with what I have.

I bought:
1 x Tin of "Well known Australian" Beer Enhancer LME (Liquid Malt Extract) Extra Pale (1.5kg)
1 x Brew Blend Brown/Dark Ale (1kg) malted barley
1 x Black Patent Malt 1kg roasted barley, not malted, I believe

And the following yeasts and hops.
4 x Willamette Hop Pellets (50g)
4 x Belgian Ale Yeast each for 10-12 liters
1 x Willamette hops 50g
1 x Dry Lager Yeast for 10-12 liters

So I was thinking to mix 1kg of the Brew Blend Brown/Dark Ale and 250g of the Black Patent Malt
Steep it for 1 hour in 70degrees C.
Sparge the steep or mash.
Question : How many liters should I end up with inclusive of the steep and sparge?

Mix the above wort and Beer Enhancer LME with 3-4 liters?
Boil until the proteins disappear.
Add the hops, not all of the above at some stage.
Add more water to have a final volume of 12-15 liters? I have no gravity tester.

Cool down the lot.

Add it to the fermenter.

Add yeast, and ferment.

Will this work, or can someone please assist me with a step by step process to brew something decent from the above ingredients?

Regards
Ivan Lötter
South Africa

It's not clear what you have for fermentables. The LME you have will make about 12 liters of a beer starting at 1.036 SG, an abv of around 3 - 3.5% or less of something a little stronger. The "brown blend" might be something you can mash to get more fermentable sugars, or it might be too roasted to convert. Can't tell from the other side of the world. is it a blend of several grains or one uniform color? How dark? If lighter, It could be something like Munich or Vienna that will convert, or if darker it could be a crystal or who knows what that will add flavor and color but not sugars. The roast will definitely add color and flavor, but not sugars, and you wouldn't want to use more than about 50 - 100 grams of it in this small of a batch or it would be extremely bitter. You won't need more than one pack of your yeast.

The blend is called “Brew Blend Brown/Dark Ale (1kg)” and this is the description “This brew blend contains a mixture of brewing sugars, malt extracts and aroma hops. It adds flavour, mouth feel and head retention to any brown or dark ale style beer kit. Also suitable for English ales, bitters, India Pale Ales, porters, etc.The hops are barrier-packed to retain freshness. Tip: for best results, add hops after at least three days of fermentation.”

It does not say with how much water I must steep it and how much wort I must end up with for the 1 kg of grain.

Attached is a photo of the contents. Looks like extract. What I bought is sealed in a foil type package so I can’t see the contents but feels like grain and not DME. To cheap for DME.

Attachments

• BA2A5E6E-FA93-43EE-A5F0-59956650D3D0.jpeg
    BA2A5E6E-FA93-43EE-A5F0-59956650D3D0.jpeg
    17.9 KB · Views: 13
I can't zoom your picture for some reason, but what I can see looks like DME to me, and the description makes it sound like like its largely DME as well. Perhaps it's something like malt powder for making milkshakes? Regardless, if there aren't any visible grain husks in it then I think that treating it like DME should be good. The foil package is probably the aroma hops (pellets) mentioned in the description. A kg should give you about 8 liters of 1.045 ish wort. together with your LME, you potentialy have about 15 - 16 liters of a respectable 1.050 wort which will give you about 5 - 6% ABV. What you have would probably make a respectable amber or something like a black IPA if you want to use some of the patent. You've got a lot of hops for the fermentables you have, so going in the direction of an IPA would make the best use of what you have. Belgian yeast at higher temperatures will probably make it fruity though.

Looks like DME , so I will only make this batch and not add the LME enhancer. I blotched out the suppliers name as they did not give me any assistance. All I asked was how much end product must I end up with. They said I must join a forum!

Attachments

• BC8F7566-E0FB-4385-8BD4-D8A72F501ED1.jpeg
    BC8F7566-E0FB-4385-8BD4-D8A72F501ED1.jpeg
    688.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 82CCE049-3528-41D0-8DD1-4AC86055673F.jpeg
    82CCE049-3528-41D0-8DD1-4AC86055673F.jpeg
    380.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 8EBB4DA8-87E6-4F54-A931-200270DC63C1.jpeg
    8EBB4DA8-87E6-4F54-A931-200270DC63C1.jpeg
    734.4 KB · Views: 3
  • F8DC8486-E580-4E49-ABE3-9E57837F748F.jpeg
    F8DC8486-E580-4E49-ABE3-9E57837F748F.jpeg
    931.7 KB · Views: 5
  • CD55F192-B818-4E22-8A38-4A89CDC1C283.jpeg
    CD55F192-B818-4E22-8A38-4A89CDC1C283.jpeg
    427 KB · Views: 4
Simultanously I boiled 5 liters of mineral water, and dissolved the DME in +-1 liter water.

Added the dissolved DME water to the pot of 5 liters of water.

Boiled for 1 hour. I also put another pot on the stove with 3 liters of mineral water to boil.

Rolled 1/2 a cup of the Black Patent barley with a baking roller to crush it. Put it into a homemade steeping bag. Steeped it into the boil for the last 30 minutes and added the handful of hops at this stage.

At one hour the proteins seemed to have dissapeared, i.e. the head. or foam was gone.

I then took the pot off the stove and submerged it into ice water to drop the temperature to 27 deg C.

Spraying everyting I used to stir, take temperature etc. with a Bleach mix to sterilise.

When all was cooled down to 27 deg, I poured it into a 50l plastic tank through a sieve to catch the hops, and top it up to the 8 liter mark with the boiled water(also cooled down to 27 deg C.).

Pitched the yeast and shaked the fermenter for 30 seconds.

Capped it with foil as I do not have an airlock. Took the fermenter down to my Wine cellar where it is 19 deg c at the moment. 20 deg is ideal I know.

The Fermenter, which is a plastic water tank, is not see through plastic so I will need to find a way to look at the product. All smelled good, let's see.

Smells like beer, and looks like a stout.

Attachments

• 16BC605C-A51E-4824-90DC-538C531A0119.jpeg
    16BC605C-A51E-4824-90DC-538C531A0119.jpeg
    585.2 KB · Views: 5
loving the home brews that are appearing back home during lock down, If the booze ban continues and you have saved the yeast from the above brew,
You can make a awesome gluten free beer from supplies in Pick and pay.
go either sorghum based with berries, or corn based if you have hops,

Sorghum, -+ 20L
1kg king korn sorguhm ( green label) or any other bag of course malted matabele
1x jungle oats quick cook ( nb quick cook )
2kg brown sugar
2x big grape fruits worth of dried skin and peel
2 cans of black cherries
1 box of mixed berry juice
mash in do long mash with the grain bill in a bag ... high 50's for about 30 min then a mid to high 60's for a hour.

add the dried peal during boil to bitter the wort
ferment... when it starts to slow after 7-10 days add the canned cherries and fruit juice. it ll normally start fermenting again,

i bottle condition it feeding with very dark brown /molasses sugar.

2 weeks later you have a nearly belgium style beer.

if you have time,
and hops
king korn has a malted korn powder, and you have lager yeast you can make a awesome beer,
25l of water
2kg of basmati/ jasmin rice boiled
dont drain the water, if anything add alot more......
into that cooked thin liquid add 2.5kg bag of king korn malted corn ( either black label or a blue and white on clear bag )
hold at 55' for about an hour till the wort tastes very sweet.

boil and add hops to you liking ( i use cascade )
long and slow ferment with lager yeast
you should land up with a awesome gluten free summer lager

Back