Recipe for Critique: Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germelli1

Reaction score
Since I completely changed gears on my other thread and couldn't change the title, I have a new recipe to critique. I want to try my hand at making my own AG Wit recipe. Any suggestions are welcome!

Yeast: Pacman

6 # Marris Otter/Pale ale
5 # flaked wheat
1 # Honey Malt
.5# Caramel 20L

1 oz. Magnum (60 mins)
.5 oz Saaz (15 min)
.5 oz. Saaz (FO)

1 oz. Orange zest (FO)
.5 oz Coriander seeds, crushed (FO)

Are you looking to make a wit "to style", or are you looking to just make a tasty beer?

If the former, I'd change yeast to Wyeast #3944, T-58, or a similar wit yeast, as well as drop the crystal and honey malt. Those will give you a malty sweetness that isn't really wit-like. Otherwise it looks like a good starting point.

Are you looking to make a wit "to style", or are you looking to just make a tasty beer?

If the former, I'd change yeast to Wyeast #3944, T-58, or a similar wit yeast, as well as drop the crystal and honey malt. Those will give you a malty sweetness that isn't really wit-like. Otherwise it looks like a good starting point.

I should have added "Wit Influenced" since I am just going for a tasty beer to experiment with an ingredient I have been wanting to try out.

I am shooting for a slightly sweet wit and hoping to get a little bit of honey flavors in it.

I'd sub out pilsner malt for the MO/Pale. I kinda think that rich British malts clash a bit with the orange and coriander.

Back