Recipe for a Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patton191

Reaction score
My brother is buying a few kits and wants me to help him get a recipe for a dunkelweizen. I am very new to brewing myself and can't make one, so I was wondering if anyone else can help make a fairly simple dunkelweizen 5 gallon extract recipe. He will be ordering it from morebeer if that matters at all.

Thanks again

Patton

here's the recipe from midwest for their extract deep dark wheat:

Deep Dark Wheat: This Dunkel weizen has a dark copper colored body. A great change of pace for wheat beer fans. This recipe is a maltier, darker variation of Hefeweizen Our ingredients for this recipe include: 6 lbs. Wheat liquid malt extract, 3.3 lbs. Dark liquid malt extract, 8 oz. Carapils, 8 oz .Caramel 40°L specialty grains, 2 oz. of hops, yeast, priming sugar and a grain bag.

should give you a place to start at least. deathbrewer has a good recipe on his partial mash sticky (i think).

any AG recipes?

3Lb German pilsner malt
3Lb Light Munich malt
4Lb Wheat malt
6 oz Rice hulls
8 oz Crystal 90
2 oz Caraffe III de husked
¾ oz Tettnanger hops 3.5 HBU (boiling)
¼ oz Hallertau hops (aroma)
1 Pkg. German style Bavarian wheat ale type yeast
¾ cup corn sugar

My first beer as well as my first all grain beer. I have my batch conditioning right now it will be done tomorrow but I might need to let it sit for two more weeks after that...

6lbs wheat malt
4lbs munich
.25 lbs chocolate
1 oz hallertauer @60
.25 oz hallertauer @15
Wyeast 3068 or White Labs equivalent (a must, no matter what the ingredients are)

6lbs wheat malt
4lbs munich
.25 lbs chocolate
1 oz hallertauer @60
.25 oz hallertauer @15
Wyeast 3068 or White Labs equivalent (a must, no matter what the ingredients are)

Kind of resurrecting this thread, I know, but just wanted to say that a couple of months ago I was looking for a nice and simple Dunkelweizen recipe ... ran across this thread and ended up making this exact one (except I used tettnanger instead of hallertauer - no biggie). Just cracked the first one open a few days ago, and it is really f'in great. Really great. One of the best beers I've made in a while.

Just wanted to say thanks ... more and more I'm finding myself preferring simple recipes to complex ones with tons of ingredients. This one's simple, but it gets everything exactly right. So thanks!

Ok, carry on.

Kind of resurrecting this thread, I know, but just wanted to say that a couple of months ago I was looking for a nice and simple Dunkelweizen recipe ... ran across this thread and ended up making this exact one (except I used tettnanger instead of hallertauer - no biggie). Just cracked the first one open a few days ago, and it is really f'in great. Really great. One of the best beers I've made in a while.

Just wanted to say thanks ... more and more I'm finding myself preferring simple recipes to complex ones with tons of ingredients. This one's simple, but it gets everything exactly right. So thanks!

Ok, carry on.

Thanks! Its been a while since I've done that recipe, but its always good (and simple)

I'm sure the 1/4 lb of chocolate in this case is referring to chocolate malt not to actual chocolate.

Yea, chocolate malt.

6lbs wheat malt
4lbs munich
.25 lbs chocolate
1 oz hallertauer @60
.25 oz hallertauer @15

How much brew does this recipe make? Forgive me if this is a dumb question, I am fairly new to home brewing.

yes, im a new guy, extract recipe on this.....

A good extract recipe was referred to by someone earlier in the thread ... it's in DeathBrewer's stovetop PM thread. Not exactly the same recipe as Edcculus', but similar and likely pretty great, too. The recipe is in this post. Enjoy!

Im making this one right now from AHS. the yeast that came with it didnt start up. had to go to LHBS and pick up some more yeast, but it is bubbeling away now.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produ...d=325&osCsid=a2a154b0c9df9ae7fe41974f9fe9b755

That's the one that I have in the bottles right now. A little bit ago they had it on special for 19.99 AG. I used the Wyeast Weihenstephan Yeast, and used a starter. The thing took off like a rocket.

I just tasted the first one after 2 weeks in the bottle and it was good. Since they are conditioning in a room that is about 64F, I figure another week or 2 should put them in the sweet spot.

I used the dry Munich German Danstar yeast. Nothing after about 4 days so I repitched. I will probably move to a secondary today. I am having the same cold botteling problem with their wheat stout. I just moved it to a warmer room, so hopefully in 2 more weeks it will be carbed well.

I have Jamil's Dunkelweizen fermenting right now. I got it out of BYO. So far I am a big fan of anything Jamil recommends, his recipes are solid.

Jamil's Dunkelweizen

OG = 1.051
FG = 1.013
IBU = 15
SRM = 15
ABV = 5.1
Pre-Boil Vol = 5.9 Gal
Final Vol = 5 Gal

4.4 lbs Wheat LME
2.2 lbs Weyermann Munich Amber LME

8.8 oz Briess CaraMunich Malt (or similar)
2.6 oz Wetermann Carafa Speciall II

3.12 AAU Hallertau pellets 60 Min

Wyeast 3068 or White Labs WLP300

Steep grains in 0.5 gal 30 mins at roughly 170*. Add enough water and malt extract to the liquor to get pre-boil volume of 5.9 gal and SG of 1.043. Boil 60 mins, cool to 62*, pitch. Ferment at 62*. Target carbonation is 2.5 - 3 volumes

6lbs wheat malt
4lbs munich
.25 lbs chocolate
1 oz hallertauer @60
.25 oz hallertauer @15

so what if i substituted the 6lbs of wheat (assuming pale) for 6 lbs of chocolate wheat? is that going too far down the dark path? possibly i could split it 3lbs pale and 3lbs chocolate.

so what if i substituted the 6lbs of wheat (assuming pale) for 6 lbs of chocolate wheat?

You would have a beer that would remind you of biting into a big ol' bar of baker's unsweetened chocolate.:cross:

You could sub chocolate wheat for the chocolate malt....

scratch that question. it would obviously be way too dark. i've decided to go with my LHBS, so i'm limited to regular wheat and will have to use the chocolate malt.

but i am curious as to how/if dark wheat or chocolate wheat fit into the dunkelweizen picture. can you go with dark wheat over pale?

You would have a beer that would remind you of biting into a big ol' bar of baker's unsweetened chocolate.:cross:

You could sub chocolate wheat for the chocolate malt....

thanks! yeah, i immediately came to conclusion once i bounced back to the website and looked at the choco wheat picture ;)

any thoughts on the dark for pale wheat sub?

I used dark wheat in my last hefeweizen. It was pretty good. It's not real dark so you wont get much color from it. Chocolate wheat on the other hand is more potent than carafa II special.

I think the dark wheat malt is more flavorful. Wheat really doesn't impart a lot of favor in a beer. A weizen is all about the yeast. I don't believe there is a dry yeast yet than can really make one.

thanks conroe, but your comments draw up another question for me. i'm currently making a dark red ale with wyeast 1028 (London Ale), and I'm going to wash the yeast to get a few jars for later. i thought i might use one on this weizen recipe since i'm not as concerned about making a true weizen, just a good dark wheat. i'm actually going to add about 4-5 lbs of fresh blackberries to the mix. do you think the 1028 would still produce a good dark beer? (i'm trying to save some pennies!)

I just brewed a hefeweizen this weekend, however I had a sample container of Briess Midnight Wheat, 2.2 oz (in a 10 lb grain bill) that I decided to throw in. I was surprised to see how much color a small amount of that dark wheat malt added! I don't know how it will affect flavor, as I've never used it... Does that count as a dunkelweizen?

That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure what I should be calling it. Considering it's really not brewed to style for either a Hef or a Dunkel, I probably shouldn't be referring to it as either...?

Maybe I'll just shut up and drink it... :tank:

6lbs wheat malt
4lbs munich
.25 lbs chocolate
1 oz hallertauer @60
.25 oz hallertauer @15

I think I'm going to make something similar to this for my next batch. I wanted to add some maltodextrin to the recipe. How much would you recommend? I also may bump up the chocolate malt a bit. If I want to add the malto and bump up chocolate, should I subtract some of the base malts?

I made the Brewers Best Dunkelweizen a while back and actually loved it. Their recipe Looks like this:
FERMENTABLES
6.6 lb. Wheat LME
1 lb. Maltodextrin
SPECIALTY GRAINS
8 oz. Chocolate
8 oz. Munich
HOPS
5 oz. Bittering.
25 oz. Flavoring

Seems like a lot of maltodextrin and not much munich malt.

6lbs wheat malt
4lbs munich
.25 lbs chocolate
1 oz hallertauer @60
.25 oz hallertauer @15

Awesome recipe! Almost matches Big Dogs Dunkel in taste (this one is better imho). Brewing this once again today. Thanks Edcculus!

Awesome recipe! Almost matches Big Dogs Dunkel in taste (this one is better imho). Brewing this once again today. Thanks Edcculus!

Agreed! I hadn't brewed with this strain before and it's incredible how yeast treatment alters the flavor profile. The first time I brewed it there was a freak warm spell and it got into the mid 70s and it tasted like banana bread. The second time I (probably under) pitched what I rinsed from the first batch and kept it steady at 65 and it's got lots of clove and very little banana.

I also hadn't brewed with this much Munich before. I liked the contribution so much I'm trying a Munich SMaSH now.

Excellent recipe!

Back