Recipe for a beer that combined Guinnes Red, Chimay and creamy lagers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gugguson

Reaction score
Hello.

I have just recently started in the brewing hobby and I'm wondering if anybody has a recipe that combines these three beers into one great beer (I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for):

Creamy taste of Guinness Red
Quality and teste of belgian beers (Chimay etc.)
A mix of lighter lagers that have refreshness to them (but not very hoppy)

A alcohol volume would be around 5-6% or something like that.

I know that this sounds like a silly question but I think a mix of the above qualities would be great in a beer.

I initial thought is an oktoberfest/Marzen like beer. Use the grain bill from a Guinness Red Clone and substitute in some belgian grains (special B, aromatic, Pilsner). If you are wanting the yeast qualities of a belgian beer (chimay) but the refreshing qualities of a lager, that will be more difficult. I would say use a belgian pale ale strain with low attenuation in primary, and ferment as low as possible (low 60's upper 50's) and then hit it with a Oktoberfest yeast and finish fermentation/lagering at regular lager temps.

This is just a initial thought and can obviously be improved upon. Looking forward to seeing how this thread turns out

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I will try it out and hopefully it will taste as good as it sounds.

I initial thought is an oktoberfest/Marzen like beer. Use the grain bill from a Guinness Red Clone and substitute in some belgian grains (special B, aromatic, Pilsner). If you are wanting the yeast qualities of a belgian beer (chimay) but the refreshing qualities of a lager, that will be more difficult. I would say use a belgian pale ale strain with low attenuation in primary, and ferment as low as possible (low 60's upper 50's) and then hit it with a Oktoberfest yeast and finish fermentation/lagering at regular lager temps.

This is just a initial thought and can obviously be improved upon. Looking forward to seeing how this thread turns out

Back