Recipe Feedback: Chocolate Oatwine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, all. I'd certainly appreciate suggestions and other feedback on the following recipe for 2.5 gallons of chocolate oatwine:

4 lbs. malted oats
2 lbs.English pale malt
2 lbs. Munich
1 lbs. flaked oats
0.5 lb Crystal 77L
1.0 lb chocolate
0.5 lb chocolate rye

10 g Magnum (10.6% AA) @ 60 min.
10 g Talus (8.7% AA) @ 15 min.
10 g Talus (8.7% AA) @ 0 min.

22 g (two packages) Danstar Nottingham
Ferment @ 64 F

4 oz. cacao nibs (soaked in vodka, added to the fermenter at 1 week, continue with primary for at least another week)

I'm brewing this tomorrow or the next day from ingredients I have lying around the house, so if you have suggestions for other grains or hops, I might or might not have them available.

3 Dawg Night

Life is too short to drink crappy beer.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
That's interesting. I've never heard of an oatwine, chocolate or otherwise. Have you tasted one? How does the taste differ from a barleywine or wheatwine?

Alan Reginato

Reaction score
That's really interesting, but I would be worried about diastatic power in that recipe. Did you check it out? Maybe diastatic malt instead of pale malt.
I really don't know, just venting some ideas.

OP
A

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
That's interesting. I've never heard of an oatwine, chocolate or otherwise. Have you tasted one? How does the taste differ from a barleywine or wheatwine?
I've never had one either. I modified a wheatwine recipe. I actually just bought the malted oats. The only thing I've used them so far was a hefe-oaten, which is still in the fermenter.

OP
A

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
That's really interesting, but I would be worried about diastatic power in that recipe. Did you check it out? Maybe diastatic malt instead of pale malt.
I should have worried about that. Some quick Googling suggests a DP of 25 might be reasonable for the oats. I could replace the English pale with regular 2-row, white wheat, or Pilsner, all of which should be 100+.

I'm inclined to go with wheat, from a recipe perspective. (I have some really good wheat malt.)

Komodo

Reaction score
Can you followup in this thread with your progress? I've also never heard of it and am really curious.

BrewMan13

Whole Nother Level Brewing
Reaction score
I did an oatwine ages ago. It was fairly basic as I only used oat malt & flaked oats (I think). Just add some amylase enzyme to the mash aid in conversion (regular, not the gluco- kind that gets used in brut IPA's).

skibb

Reaction score
Not sure this is an issue - all the malts, which constitute 80% of the recipe, all have enough DP to convert themselves and then some.

My worry for this recipe: too bitter/roasty. Unless you're planning on this beer finishing in the 1.030s+ its going to drink more like a stout.

Chocolate Rye is an amazing malt, I would just use that exclusively over regular chocolate.

OP
A

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Decided on some changes. Final recipe:

4 lbs. malted oats
2 lbs. pale malt
2 lbs. Munich
1 lbs. flaked oats
0.5 lb Crystal 77L
0.5 lb chocolate
0.5 lb chocolate rye

10 g Magnum (10.6% AA) @ 60 min.
10 g Talus (8.7% AA) @ 15 min.
10 g Talus (8.7% AA) @ 0 min.

11 g Danstar Nottingham
Ferment @ 64 F

Gravity came in at 1.088. The wort tasted delicious: very rich, slightly roasty. Normally, all wort tastes about the same to me, but this was an exception. Will report back in a month or so when it's ready (if still young.)

OP
A

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Checking back in, as promised. This one is a winner! Creamy mouthfeel, lots of roast and chocolate with some grain in the background, and very pleasantly alcoholic.

Next question: What do people think the best BJCP category is? 31A (Alternative Grain Beer); base style 17D (English Barleywine)? It doesn't feel chocolate-forward enough to go in as 30A (Spiced Beer). Is there such a thing as an Imperial Oatmeal Stout?