Recipe Feedback - Blonde/Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhetorik

Reaction score
Please provide some feedback on this recipe; I'm looking to get it going in the next week or so. Some of the choices are limited due to availability at my LHBS. I'm heavily borrowing from this recipe

Blonde Ale

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Salafe S-05
Yeast Starter: No
Boil Size (Gallons): 3.5
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity (est): 1.053
Final Gravity (est): 1.015
IBU: 19
ABV: 5.03%
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 6
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 @ 70 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 @ 70 F

Ingredients
======================================
0.50 lb CaraPils (steeped)
0.50 lb Crystal 30L (steeped)
6.50 lb Light DME

Hops
======================================
0.75 oz Willamette at 60
0.75 oz Willamette at 20
1.0 oz Falconer's Flight at 1

I don't have access to Extra Light DME/LME, and Cara Munich I (~35L from what I've read) is the lightest Crystal I can get.

I thought Falconer's Flight would be a fun addition at the end.

Any thoughts on this as a recipe? Adding/substituting hops, or their timings? Maybe dry hop? I'm an open book - I just want to make something that is fairly light and a crowd-pleaser.

Looks great. Don't change a thing. I've used that recipe you linked at the top quite a bit. One thing to consider is whether you can ferment at a lower temp. 3 weeks at 65 with no secondary would be perfect.

Curious, how did it turn out? any pics?

No pics I don't think. It turned out very nicely though - light colour, very refreshing and easy-drinking. Perfect for bringing to my softball games!

I have since switched to all-grain and my last batch is actually pretty similar; it's also a blonde ale, but it's with Centennial/Amarillo and S-04 yeast and some orange zest for added awesomeness. It's carbonating in bottles at the moment.

I swtiched to all grain as well in my last batch, it actually turned better than I thought considering that I designed the recipe lol.
PS: its good to know Im not the only one here, where do you get your supplies from?

I swtiched to all grain as well in my last batch, it actually turned better than I thought considering that I designed the recipe lol.
PS: its good to know Im not the only one here, where do you get your supplies from?

I buy Bulk grains and occasionally yeast from DeFalco's. Their prices are quite good for bulk grain compared to online ($46 for 55kg of 2row, $50 for 55kg of Marris Otter, etc) and there's no shipping charge.

For online, I use www.beergrains.com and www.ontariobeerkegs.com

I normally buy hops by the pound from online as well as equipment and some of the specialty malts that defalco's doesn't carry.

Check out Members of Barleyment - it's the Ottawa homebrew club. Sign up for the email list!

I buy Bulk grains and occasionally yeast from DeFalco's. Their prices are quite good for bulk grain compared to online ($46 for 55kg of 2row, $50 for 55kg of Marris Otter, etc) and there's no shipping charge.

For online, I use www.beergrains.com and www.ontariobeerkegs.com

I normally buy hops by the pound from online as well as equipment and some of the specialty malts that defalco's doesn't carry.

Check out Members of Barleyment - it's the Ottawa homebrew club. Sign up for the email list!

Per 55 kg? Are you sure? Cause thats more than 100 lbs lol. I'll try getting it by bulk, I just switched to all grain so that might be a better way to save money. What about sanitizers? I am planning to try vinegar and bleach as a nor rinse solution

Latest posts

Back