Recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A full oz of Chinook for a 60 minute boil (for a 3 gal batch) is a lot more bitterness than most people like for this style. Some people like to add 10-15 IBUs at the start of the boil, some will get that from hops added at 5 or 10 min left in the boil. The last few Hazy IPAs that I made had their first hop addition at the 180F steep mark.

A full oz of Chinook for a 60 minute boil (for a 3 gal batch) is a lot more bitterness than most people like for this style. Some people like to add 10-15 IBUs at the start of the boil, some will get that from hops added at 5 or 10 min left in the boil. The last few Hazy IPAs that I made had their first hop addition at the 180F steep mark.
This is 5 gallons, so that bitterness should be diluted somewhat. I do like bitter beers, however.
It looks like the recipe is a 60 min boil with all the DME/LME at the start of the boil.

One thought would be a 30 min boil. To keep the estimated IBUs the same, add half the LME at the end of boil.
A 30 min boil is a possibility, should maybe keep it a little lighter in color?

Back