Recipe critique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jphalabuk

Reaction score
Hi all. I am a veteran brewer, but have never really taken the time to learn about the characteristics of specific malts. In addition, i was looking through my ingredients, and i have a lot of leftover malts. So i thought i would make a franken-brew and try to learn about the ingredients. It might even taste good!
Please let me know how you think this might turn out:

1#, 13 oz Pilsen,
3.5 # Maris Otter,
2#, 11 oz 2-row,
9 oz wheat malt,
12 oz flaked oats,
8 oz honey malt,
15 oz biscuit malt,
8 oz crystal 60,
8 oz crystal 40;

Hops to get something like 20 IBUs.

US-05, or Wyeast #1275.

I know it's a crap ton of ingredients, but maybe it'll taste good and i will learn something.

Thanks!

Very malty for my taste but it is beer. If you have to make use of the ingredients, go ahead. If you don't, cut some speciality malts and up the hops.

I don't want this to sound negative, but you'll probably learn that you can't tell one characteristic from another with that much stuff in there. That said, I like making mish mash clean up beers.

Thank you-i am sure you are right. Maybe I will scrap the educational portion of this exercise and just hope that it turns out tasty.

Thank you-i am sure you are right. Maybe I will scrap the educational portion of this exercise and just hope that it turns out tasty.

That's probably the best way to think about it:mug: I've always liked smash or something with only one or two character malts to experiment with. Plus, one offs are fun and they impress the neighbors;)

Back