Recipe Critique - Squatter Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morbster

Reaction score
Hey everyone, my first saison didn't dry out enough to be true to style, so I have put together a different recipe that should be a "truer" representation of a saison.

I am looking to solicit feedback on the ingredients, brewing schedule, or fermentation schedule.

Style Name: Saison
Boil Time: 90 min (to minimize DMS)
Batch Size: 4.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.6 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.041
Efficiency: 72% (brew house)

ESTIMATED STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.007
ABV: 6.9%
IBU: 26.8
SRM: 5.9

FERMENTABLES:
7.5 lb - Belgian Pilsner (75%)
12 oz - Rye Malt (7.5%)
10 oz - Munich Malt (6.2%)
8 oz - Wheat Malt (5.0%)
8 oz - Cane Sugar (5.0%)
2 oz - Caramel/Crystal 60 (1.3%)

HOPS:
1.25 oz - Hallertauer, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.8, Boil for 60 min
0.5 oz - Saaz, Type: Pellet, AA: 2.2, Boil for 60 min
0.75 oz - Hallertauer, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.8, Boil for 0 min
0.5 oz - Saaz, Type: Pellet, AA: 2.2, Boil for 0 min

YEAST:
Re-using 1 pint of WY3724 from a recent batch. Will ramp the starter up to approx. 1 liter before pitching.

Mash at 148F for 90 minutes to maximize fermentable sugars.

Ferment at 68 degrees for 2 days, then ramp up to 90 degrees for a while (read: "until I brew something else that requires my ferm chamber to be less than 90 degrees). I plan to toss the fermenter in my garage for a month or two after that to let the 3724 do its thing.

Bottle, carbonating to ~3.0 vols CO2.

I think it looks pretty good--what are you trying to accomplish with the 2oz of Crystal 60? I would drop that--I doubt you'll get much flavor contribution, and any you do get won't really be true to style. For the sake of simplicity, you could choose either just rye or just wheat, rather than both. You'd be more likely to get a distinct flavor impact from either that way.

I have found that my favorite saisons are right around 6% ABV, but that's entirely personal preference.

Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles had a very small amount of caramunich in the recipe, which I subbed for Crystal 60 since my LHBS didn't have caramunich. Note: after doing more research, it appears my LHBS was wrong when they said that caramunich and crystal 60 are basically interchangeable.

Have you experienced much of a "bite" from the rye if you get above 10%? I don't want to have too much of that in case my drinkers are not a huge fan of rye flavors (personally, I love it).

Thanks for the point about ABV. My first one is right at 6%, and I have been adjusting the cane sugar to try and hit the right spot.

I appreciate the input.

I'd ferment that sucker at 72-75 for the balance of the fermentation. I have done that on a couple of my saisons and had great luck with it. They tend to have cleaner (by cleaner I mean lower FG) fermentations when they are left to their own devices. On the plus side, as well, you will get a ton more estery goodness leftover.

I'd ferment that sucker at 72-75 for the balance of the fermentation. I have done that on a couple of my saisons and had great luck with it.

Have you used 3724 much in your saisons? From what I've read, the manufacturer recommends getting it as high as 90 for the entire length of fermentation.

I should have clarified that my garage is uninsulated and will keep the beer around 85-90 during summer months.

Quick update: I brewed this a couple days ago, with no modifications to the recipe. I would have removed the C60 but it was mixed with my other grain, oh well.

Brewing session went well, boiled a little too much off so I ended up with an OG of 1.064 instead of 1.060.

I pitched my starter of 3724, set my fermenter to 85 degrees, and let it ride. There was a huge krausen after the first day, and I'll probably take my first gravity ready this weekend.

Tasting notes to follow.

Back