Recipe Critique Please: Honey ginger IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinbrew

Reaction score
I was looking to make my first IPA and found an idea in "Radical Brewing". There was no recipe just "make and IPA and use EKG exclusively. Add 2 pounds honey and ginger to secondary." I know that it's not extremely hoppy, I want to keep this close to balanced enough for to keep peace. Looking to brew this up on Sunday, making starter/buying ingredients tomorrow. Thanks in advanced

Here is my idea:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.5 gal
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 8.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 45 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.0 lb Pale Malt (2.0 SRM) Grain 77.19%
0.50 lb Crystal 60 (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.51%
0.50 lb Honey malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3.51%
0.50 lb Victory malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3.51%
2.00 oz East Kent Goldings [5.00%] (60min) Hops 32.2 IBU
1.00 oz East Kent Goldings [5.00%] (15min) Hops 8 IBU
1.00 oz East Kent Goldings [5.00%] (5min) Hops 3.2 IBU
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 14.25 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 15.3 quart of water at 161.1 F 150.0 F

As you've already identified, your bittering is low...I think your IBUs are way low for an IPA of that gravity...I'm more partial to around a 1:1 ratio of gravity points:bittering units. I'd also consider the fact that you will be adding *another* 16 gravity points in honey...this is going to be a big beer! You could consider mashing a bit higher ("full body") as the honey will ferment out completely, potentially thinning out the body (and definitely increasing your ABV!)

BTW, how much ginger are you going to add? I once did a ginger brown ale using 1/2 pound of fresh grated ginger in secondary, and it was very gingery (but nice, and mellowed a bit with aging...)

I was going to go with 2oz candied ginger chopped up per the book. I'm starting to think EKG should not be the bittering hop addition. Suggestions? Anything outside of a high alpha?

I think you're going to need a bigger hop or else you're going to be using a bunch more EKG... If you double your bittering addition, you'll still "only" be at ~ 77 IBU, which would probably be actually fine. However, if you were to use some clean bittering hop like magnum, and switch all 4 oz of EKG to the last 15 min or perhaps even 3 oz in the last 15 min and an ounce for dry hopping, you'll get WAY more hop aroma and flavor, along with an appropriate bittering level.

Back