Recipe critique - Irish-style red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caphector

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Stats:
OG: 1.057
Expected FG: 1.012
Expected ABV: 6%
IBUs (Tinseth): 20.3
SRM: 14.5

Yeast: SafAle S-05

Grain bill:
Marris Otter 10lb 8oz
Caramunich 80
Acidulated Malt 4.00 oz
Caramel 20L Malt 4.00 oz
Caramel 40L Malt 4.00 oz
Caramunich 120 3.00 oz
Chocolate Malt (350L) 1.00 oz

Hops:
Northern Brewer 15g 9.9% AA at 60 minutes
Golding 28g 3.6% AA at 5 minutes

Mash is 60 minutes at 147°F/63°C, expected efficiency is 70%

Not sure I've got the color right and wanted to make sure my grain bill looked OK. Was thinking the acid malt (got the idea from Moylan's irish-style red) would provide a touch of sour to add complexity.

I like the idea of some acidulated malt. That would be a good touch for this style. I'm planning on messing around with it soon.

As for the rest of the recipe, I would probably replace the chocolate malt with some roasted barley. You'll get a good red color from it. If you don't want the lightly roasted flavor (like Smithwicks, instead of Sam Adam's) you can add it for the last 15 minutes of the mash to extract the color, but keep the roasted flavors out.

I'm guessing you want a dry beer? Otherwise I'd bump the mash temp to 154 or so. I see Reds as being a little sweeter. If you're looking for a dry beer, you might want to mash for 75-90 minutes to insure conversion. Or do a starch test at 60.

Back