Recipe Critique - Extract - Double IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiveohmike

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Looking to make something of a less bitter, hoppier version of the DIPA that I normal brew.... I was thinking it should be less bitter than say a Pliny, but with much more floral/hoppy aroma on the backend.

I was modified my original recipe but then did some research on different hops and what not so I settled on the following:

10268707_10203756526738851_2733844443530118000_n.jpg

So whadda ya think?

Looks pretty good, but I'd shift the 60 min hops to a FWH, put them in while steeping the specialty grains. You'll get a little flavor and a little more bitterness. Then shift the 30 min Falconers to 1 min. Hold all the 1 min hops in a whirlpool after flameout for 30 mins. You'll get way more flavor and aroma.

30 min boil hops don't add flavor, just an inefficient bitter addition.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

30 min boil hops don't add flavor, just an inefficient bitter addition.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I disagree with this, a lot. I have gotten lots of hop flavor from half ounce 30 minute additions in beers where that was the only addition besides 60. I once tried a half ounce of herskbrucker for 30 in a would-be Helles--the goal being to get just a little bit of spicy/floral hops into an otherwise malty beer; I ended up calling it a Dortmunder Export because it was hoppier than helles (pun intended, though honestly it was only moderately hoppy.)

You can even get aroma from middle additions sometimes. It really depends on the hops, the yeast, the fermentation, and the handling of the beer in packaging.

To respond to OP, if you lived in my town, I'd come over as soon as you said "It's ready." It might not be my style IPA (dry, assertively bitter), but I'm betting I still like it alot.

I disagree with this, a lot. I have gotten lots of hop flavor from half ounce 30 minute additions in beers where that was the only addition besides 60. I once tried a half ounce of herskbrucker for 30 in a would-be Helles--the goal being to get just a little bit of spicy/floral hops into an otherwise malty beer; I ended up calling it a Dortmunder Export because it was hoppier than helles (pun intended, though honestly it was only moderately hoppy.)

You can even get aroma from middle additions sometimes. It really depends on the hops, the yeast, the fermentation, and the handling of the beer in packaging.

To respond to OP, if you lived in my town, I'd come over as soon as you said "It's ready." It might not be my style IPA (dry, assertively bitter), but I'm betting I still like it alot.

I am going to brew it in the morning. I guess what I am trying to do is tone down the bitterness. My normal DIPA's are 130 - 170 IBU's (kinda like plinys....and I know about the 100 thing).

What i am trying to do though, is as its a big beer, is to balance the sweetness so its not to sweet, but not to bitter. I tasted a new brewery Double IPA here in town and its about exactly what I want. Not crazy bitter, but not crazy sweet, dry/crisp and just a massive amount of hops.

Back