Recipe Critique: Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thepartyguy

Reaction score
Hey There,

I've never brewed a Blonde Ale, mostly just IPA's, Black IPA's, a few Porters and Some Stouts.

I get the basic Idea of Blonde, just nice easy Drinking crisp ale with not a whole lot of bitterness, and a beautiful Golden Color.

That being Said My friend's birthday is coming up and she has not expanded her horizons Much past Commercial Lagers; hoping to brew a Nice Golden ale that isn't too Bitter but has wonderful Aromas (Melon, Papaya, Roses, citrus and a hint of peppers).

This is what I'm Thinking so Far

Going to mash at 150F.
Ferment at 64F

Estimated O.G. = 1.043
Estimated F.G. = 1.011
Estimated ABV = 4.2
Estimated bitterness = 20.4 IBU (do you think this might be too bitter for a Bud Weiser drinker?)

Grain Bill
8.0 lbs. 2-Row US Pale Malt
8.0 oz Crystal 10

Hops
0.25 Oz Amarillo Hops added at the beginning of the 60 minute boil
0.45 Oz Amarillo Hops added at the 30 Minute Mark
1 Whirfloc tablet 15 Minutes before flame out
1.0 Oz Mosaic Hops Added at end of Boil
1.0 Oz Equinox Hops added at end of Boil

1 pack WLP001 California Ale Yeast

Also anything special for Fermentation, or just leave it for 3-4 weeks, then cold crash and move to Keg?

If the beer actually finishes at 1.011, 20 IBU shouldn't be too bitter. I shoot for somewhere between 15-20 in my blondes/wheats. However, the hop schedule makes this beer seem more like a pale ale in my opinion, and I'm not sure that's what you want if you're trying to appeal to a BMC drinker. With a grain bill that light, the aroma from the flameout hops should still be present without being too potent if you cut them in half.

If the beer actually finishes at 1.011, 20 IBU shouldn't be too bitter. I shoot for somewhere between 15-20 in my blondes/wheats. However, the hop schedule makes this beer seem more like a pale ale in my opinion, and I'm not sure that's what you want if you're trying to appeal to a BMC drinker. With a grain bill that light, the aroma from the flameout hops should still be present without being too potent if you cut them in half.

Ahh so Less Hops all around, not just less bittering hops? Good to know!

Agree on cutting down the hops at flameout. It would have quite a strong hoppy aroma.

Back