Recipe critique: American wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wlssox524

Reaction score
Hoping to get some thoughts on a beer I plan to brew on Sunday. It's based on the Belma wheat recipe from the most recent BYO Here goes:

7 lbs 2 row
2 lbs white wheat
.5 oz galena 75 mins
.5 oz sorachi ace 0 mins
Wlp001

Mash at 152 for sixty minutes

og 1.049
Fg 1.012

Any comments appreciated!

The grain looks good. You could even trade a pound of two-row for a pound of wheat, but that's a small thing. Looks like you're shooting for 25-30 IBU, which will be nicely balanced. If you wanted, you could use a yeast that would give you more flavor, like Wyeast 1010 AmerWheat, or WLP051 AmerAle 5.

Post your result.

I saw that recipe in BYO and remember thinking I would up the wheat (I like closer to 50/50 2-row and wheat, they had pilsner in the BYO one I think). I do like 1010 but I find it pretty clean, IMO not that much different than 001 for this. I was actually thinking about trying sorachi ace in the wheat I just kegged yesterday but I didn't plan ahead and couldn't get any. I'd probably up that addition or even dry hop a little, but I do tend to be more heavy handed with hops anwyay. Report back if you brew it!
:mug:

I have an ounce of sorachi ace (and an extra half oz of centennial)--think its worth using any of that as well?

If you were going to use it in addition to what you've already listed, I'd put in the Centennial, at flameout. It would give you a more complex citrus profile, but keep your IBU about the same. One of my brewing friends tells me that Sorachi Ace is very strong, so you'd just be getting more of an already strong lemony flavor if you were to add more.

Back