Recipe Conversion to PM with Rice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found this recipe that I wanted to try for the BMC drinkers, and just to have a nice light beer around.

I know you can't steep rice, so was wondering with the rice syrup if it is even needed, or how would I convert this to PM? Could be a good way to get my feet wet with a PM. If I just added 1Lb of 2 row would that be enough, and maybe then only do 1lb of rice syrup? Any help would be great! Thanks!

2 lbs Flaked Rice
1 lbs Caramel 10L

2 lbs Rice Syrup Solids
3 lbs Pilsen Light LME

.75 oz Liberty Hops (60 min)
.5 oz Liberty Hops (30 min)
.75 oz Liberty Hops (5 min)

2 lbs Flaked Rice
1 lbs Caramel 10L

2 lbs Rice Syrup Solids
3 lbs Pilsen Light LME

thats a lot of rice even for a BMC type brew

a mash with:
2lbs 2-row
2lbs flaked
1lb c-10
will be right at the ragged edge but doable for conversion.

Rice syrup solids are just rice DME

Yea, I know rice syrup is just extract, that is why I was wondering if it is needed. Or should I just leave out the flaked rice and do as an extract batch? Or should I find a different recipe? Just seemed easy so thought I would throw it together in my second fermenter but maybe I am making it harder than it needs to be.

So if I use your conversion as a partial mash would you leave out the rice syrup and just use the Pilsen LME?

It looks to me like there's something very wrong with this recipe - you're using a starch source, rice flakes, but there is nothing containing diastase activity to convert that starch to fermentable sugars. Caramel malts don't normally have any enzyme activity, and neither does malt extract. I'd say you have two choices: (1) treat it as a steep + extract recipe and eliminate the rice flakes altogether, and use only rice syrup (which is already converted to sugar) or (2) create a partial-mash recipe by mashing your rice flakes with at least 2 and preferably 4 pounds of Pilsner base malt, which will convert it to fermentables. What kind of OG are you looking for? I have a gravity computing program so I can give you the exact quantities needed to get your target gravity, if you want.

Also, I'd add that your proportion of caramel malt looks a little on the high side, even for a cara-pils or cara-hel. I'd recommend cutting the amount by half.

Found this recipe that I wanted to try for the BMC drinkers, and just to have a nice light beer around.

I know you can't steep rice, so was wondering with the rice syrup if it is even needed, or how would I convert this to PM? Could be a good way to get my feet wet with a PM. If I just added 1Lb of 2 row would that be enough, and maybe then only do 1lb of rice syrup? Any help would be great! Thanks!

2 lbs Flaked Rice
1 lbs Caramel 10L

2 lbs Rice Syrup Solids
3 lbs Pilsen Light LME

As written this is not a good recipe. There are no diastatic malts to convert the starches in the rice.

Try this:

2 lbs flaked rice
3 lbs pilsner malt or 2-row pale
1/2 lb light crystal (Caramel 10 or CaraHelles)

3 lbs pilsen LME

Hops: same as above

BigEd's recipe looks spot-on to me: well-balanced, and with plenty of diastatic activity to convert those rice flakes. I calculate that those ingredients, in a 5-gal batch with average extraction efficiency should give you an OG of 1.053, good for a bit over 5% a.b.v., assuming an FG around 1.010.

Awesome! Thanks. For some reason I had the recipe but am glad I never got around to it. Glad I did some research first. I will try BigEd's recipe.

Back