Recipe clone question (English Pale Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boondocksaint

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to clone Heavy Seas (Baltimore, MD brewery), Powder Monkey Pale Ale which is billed as a "traditional English style pale ale with an East coast twist".

The brewery website reports:
Style: English Pale Ale
ABV: 4.75%
IBUs: 28.5
Hops: UK Fuggles, Cascade, UK Goldings
Malts: 2-row, Munich, Crystal, Caramalt

I'm looking to brew my first AG batch and wanted to brew a clone of something I really like so I can do a little comparison to see how I did. So, my question is can a 5 Gal recipe be determined with amounts for the malts & amounts/times for the hops based on the above info?

Thanks & Cheers!

way too many combinations to pin down an accurate clone. how many different ways can you come up with 28.5 IBUs using those 3 hops? website does say the flavor comes from the UK hops, with Cascade "in the boil and hopback" so that might help a little

you can try and guess what SRM the color is, would go far in figuring out which "Crystal" they use

I tried cloning Devil's Backbone 8 Point IPA with more to go on and it's been a b*tch.

even if you get grain bill and hop schedule down, what yeast do they use, at what temp do they mash and at what temp do they ferment?

I'm gonna relax and have a DB 8 Point

way too many combinations to pin down an accurate clone. how many different ways can you come up with 28.5 IBUs using those 3 hops? website does say the flavor comes from the UK hops, with Cascade "in the boil and hopback" so that might help a little

you can try and guess what SRM the color is, would go far in figuring out which "Crystal" they use

I tried cloning Devil's Backbone 8 Point IPA with more to go on and it's been a b*tch.

even if you get grain bill and hop schedule down, what yeast do they use, at what temp do they mash and at what temp do they ferment?

I'm gonna relax and have a DB 8 Point

Aagh, I figured. Good luck with the DB 8 Point. They do make some great beers. (Assuming you've had their Congo?)

Any recommendations on a recipe already established for something in the 'English PA with an East coast twist' lane? I love the distinct hop character balanced with the slight malt sweetness.

have you tried emailing the brewers? never know, they might share the recipe. I tried emailing DB, but never got a response

I have not tried the Congo. I love IPAs, I like Belgians and after trying a Flying Dog Raging *****, not sure I like the combo

the way I formulated the DB8PT recipe from just knowing their grains:

put 1 lb of each of the grains in BS2
increased the 2-row until I hit the ABV
1/2ed the crystal/caramel, doubled the Munich, then backed off the 2-row until I was back at the ABV, then tweaked it until I got the color right

Powder Monkey, without knowing the SRM, I did the same and got this:

7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 70.0 %
2 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) 20.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) 5.0 % (using this because BS2 doesn't have "caramalt")
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) 5.0 %

not sure how close it is, but like I always say "It will make beer"

as for "East Coast twist" it's hard to know exactly what that means. on another IPA I brewed, I used English hops and added Cascade, plus used WLP008 East Coast/Brewer Patriot.

Grog, that's awesome. Thanks for the info. That definitely gives me a place to start! :mug:

As for the Belgian IPA brews...If you had the Raging ***** first I can see why you'd be hesitant on the style. The RB is definitely more boozy. I like it but really have to be in the mood for it. I think DB makes the best Belgian IPA I've tried yet. I don't know how but they just do it better.

Their Schwartzbier (sp?) is excellent too.

Anyhow, thanks again. I haven't yet invested in the beer smith software but plan to in the near future. Cheers!

Oh & if you'd be willing to share the 8Point recipe when you get it dialed in, I'd love to take a swing at it!

Oh & if you'd be willing to share the 8Point recipe when you get it dialed in, I'd love to take a swing at it!

both original and rebrew recipes here

swing away!

I would say that it's not nearly cloned, but it is a good homebrew. I'm having issues getting any hop flavor or aroma out of anything, so I'm deeking a little with my water chem. just a little burton salts this time

Back