Recipe Check (Hefeweizen)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucks-04

Reaction score
All Grain:

How does this look

Yeast:WLP300
Hops: Liberty 1oz@60min and Tettnenger .5oz@15min
Grain: 5.5lbs 2-row Pale malt
5.5lbs Wheat Malt

60 min mash or 90 min? What is your target temp? Other than that, the recipe looks fine.

You might need a longer mash at lower temps, but at 156, you should do a 60 minute mash.

Beer smith is recommending 11.05Gal of water for the mash. Seems like a lot. Pre boil is 9.25gal and I did change my batch size to 6gal (splitting the batch with 2 dif yeast). I use a keggle and have it set to 2gal boil off which still leaves me 1.25 gal more.

Why so much water. Grain absortion is set to .77 can't change it or couldn't find it.

Also my LHBS only has white wheat so that is changed to.

If you keggle biab did you just copy the settings for a reg all grain keggle setup in beersmith?

I'm making one wort and then splitting it into two different carboys. So one boil 2 different hefs (2 did yeast strains used)

Let's see, you want 6 gallons into fermentors, 2 gallons boiloff (seems like quite a lot to me), 1 gallon for grain absorption, and about another gallon for trub. For BIAB, no tun deadspace.

I get 9, which sounds more reasonable than 11.05.

Let's see, you want 6 gallons into fermentors, 2 gallons boiloff (seems like quite a lot to me), 1 gallon for grain absorption, and about another gallon for trub. For BIAB, no tun deadspace.

I get 9, which sounds more reasonable than 11.05.

That is around what I was calculating. The .77 grain absorbtion is what I think is throwing it off.

Back