Recipe calls for lager but I have no means to do so. Any way to ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devasin

Reaction score
I want to brew a Delirium Tremens clone and convert it to extract. This is the recipe from this forum.

Ingredients
-----------
Beet Sugar 1.00 lb, Sugar, Other
Pilsener (Belgian) 6.50 lb, Grain, Mashed

Styrian Golding 0.75 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes
Saaz 0.50 oz, Pellet, 15 minutes

Coriander Seed 7.20 grams, Spice, 10 min
Ginger 2.40 grams, Spice, 10 min
Paradise 2.40 grams, Spice, 10 min

Notes
-----
Recipe is from a Belgian who supposedly knew the brewmaster at Huyghe.

10 min @ 125F mash-in, 45 min @ 144F, 30 min @ 158F, 172F mashout. I'm frankly skeptical of the effectiveness of this mash schedule, but hey, it's how Huyghe does it, I'm told. 90 minute boil. 7 day ferment (pitch both yeasts), starting at 67F and allowed to rise as yeast desired. 14 day lager at 30F, followed by a 21 day warm bottle condition at 76F.

How can I just ferment this without lagering? I have a spot in my house that is a constant 67-68F.

What yeast are you using? Is it an ale strain? From what you've described it looks like a regular ale fermentation and the 14 day lager period is just a conditioning phase to clear the beer up. If you don't have a cold place to store the beer you could leave it at room temperature. Here is a good place to read up on conditioning. Check the next page too because it gives you a little more info.

Mash temps will only matter if you're doing partial extract. I do the same sort of mash schedule for a bitter with good results.

Seems it would just use some type of belgian ale yeast. Your temps will be fine at 67-68. Most belgian yeasts are fine into the 70s. The lager part is probably a cold crash. I would recommend letting it sit in the fermenter for a month or so if you don't have a way to cold crash.

I'm not an Abbey Monk but I did stay at a holiday inn last night.

Where to start: forget a mash schedule if you are doing an extract brew. It's irrelevant. Pitching two yeast, presumably you are saying 1 is a lager yeast. This part is confusing. It doesn't make any sense. Lagering a Belgian ale makes no sense either. The characteristics of a Belgian ale are a result of a ester producing yeast at higher temps. Lagering would negate all that.

Conclusion. Your recipe and instructions are going to fail you in about every conceivable sense. Abort this mission now.

The characteristics of a Belgian ale are a result of a ester producing yeast at higher temps. Lagering would negate all that.

Conclusion. Your recipe and instructions are going to fail you in about every conceivable sense. Abort this mission now.

Well if you fermented at normal lager yeast temps with that yeast it would still would produce esters, just different than what you would normally get.

But that said,, what's described is not really normal lagering. More like Teromous said. Just a regular ale ferment and condition.

Authentic Belgian brews are typically lagered at fridge temps in a bright tank for several weeks after what is usually a short primary of around 5-8 days. After the lagering period, the brew is re-yeasted, primed, and bottled.

The above process was described repeatedly as the process utilized by many different Belgian & Trappist brewers in Brew Like A Monk.

Back