Recipe advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erik7494

Reaction score
I have very limited access to brewing ingredients where I am, and I made up the following recipe from the stuff that I have at hand. It will be the second beer that I make, the first was an all pale hopped with saaz that turned out pretty delicious, but now I would like to make an ale with a bit more colour and flavour.

Thanks to a friend who sent me stuff I now do have several kinds of hops but all in small quantities, so I was wondering what the experts think of this combination??

grains
6 lb Briess Amber DME
0.5 lb Crystal 100L (steep)

hops (all pellets):
0.5 oz pride of ringwood 60 min
0.5 saaz 30 min
0.5 tettnanger 30 min
1.0 cascade 5 min
0.5 saaz 5 min

These are all the ingredients I have at the moment until my next shipment comes in, although I do have some extra saaz and an extra lb of crystal malt.

yeast: safale s-04, safale us-05 and nottingham dry yeast. I wonder which will be the best to use?

It doesn't fit any style as far as I can see, but it to me it sounds like it will be a nice amber beer??

Any advice is welcome!

Yep Amber or red, either of those yeasts will be fine, they are all similar and pretty neutral.

Amber dme plus the c100 will give you a pretty dark beer. That combination of hops could work great, though it's not entirely typical to see cascade's thrown in with european hops like tett and saaz. I'd say give it a shot and see what you think. The only thing I could suggest changing is the cascades for a larger shot of only saaz at the end, but thats really just opinion, I cant say it will make it better or worse.

Thanks, I brewed yesterday, got an o.g. of 1.049 out of it. I wondered about the cascades as well, but my last beer was all saaz, and I never used cascades so I'd thought to give it a try.

Since I am in China I also threw in some sichuan pepper corns, which has a nice citrus-like spiciness which I think might go nice with those hops.

Back