Recipe adjustment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abrayton

Reaction score
I am planning to brew a Tripel in a few weeks and I've been looking at several different recipes in an attempt to find the one I want to brew. I want to keep it as simple as possible. The recipe below calls for a multi-step infusion. I'm wondering if I could make it work as a single infusion with no mash out, batch sparge? What mash schedule temp/time would be recommended? Other adjustments? Thanks for any advice.
cheers!

Dragonmead Final Absolution Triple Clone

AHA Style 02-C Belgian and French Ale, Tripel
Min OG: 1.060 Max OG: 1.096
Min IBU: 20 Max IBU: 25
Min Clr: 4 Max Clr: 6 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 16.00
Anticipated OG: 1.094 Plato: 22.49
Anticipated SRM: 5.4
Anticipated IBU: 35.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75%
Wort Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Extract SRM
80.0 12.80 lbs. Pilsener Belgium 1.071 2
10.0 1.60 lbs. Munich Malt(2-row) America 1.008 6
10.0 1.60 lbs. Candy Sugar 1.015 0

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.80 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfruh Whole 4.50 29.7 60 min
0.40 oz. Styrian Goldings Whole 5.25 3.9 30 min
0.80 oz. Czech Saaz Whole 3.50 1.7 3 min

Yeast: White Labs WLP500 Trappist Ale Yeast

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Multi Step
Grain Lbs: 14.40
Water Qts: 36.00 Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 9.00 Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 2.50 Before Additional Infusions

Rest Temp Time
Acid Rest: 0 0 Min
Protein Rest: 140 15 Min
Intermediate Rest: 0 0 Min
Saccharification Rest: 150 60 Min
Mash-out Rest: 168 15 Min
Sparge: 168 60 Min

Total Mash Volume Gal: 10.20 - Dough-In Infusion Only
All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Really like the recipe! Super simple! A single infusion mash is fine. When I brew Tripels I mash at 148-150 for 90 minutes so I get a nice dry beer.

Also, to make things easier I would just get a few ounces of either Saaz or Goldings instead of using a pinch of 3 different hops.

Also, to make things easier I would just get a few ounces of either Saaz or Goldings instead of using a pinch of 3 different hops.

Would it be recommended to stick with a three addition schedule or would I want to go with just a 60min and 30min addition? Is Saaz ok for bittering addition?

I'd go with a 60 and a 5 minute hop addition. the 30 adds some bittering and little aroma/flavor.

Single infusion/batch sparge.

You will want to mash low (~148 F) as you want to dry it out.

Would it be recommended to stick with a three addition schedule or would I want to go with just a 60min and 30min addition? Is Saaz ok for bittering addition?

You can use Saaz for bittering but with the low %AA it will take a lot more hops. If you have some other higher alpha varieties lying around I would use those for your 60min and then do a 5 min addition with Saaz. I actually use Sterling hops instead of Saaz for my Belgians and Pilsners. They're an American replacement for Saaz and typically have higher AAs. The Sterling hops I have are around 10%AA which makes they much better for bittering than Saaz and still have great flavor and aroma.

http://beerlegends.com/sterling-hops

Back