Recipe Adjustment:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosster01

Reaction score
I'm going to be doing an extract brew to show my friend how to brew beer. So far I've done extract, partial mash, and all grain BIAB. I typically just follow recipes though with minimal/no adjustments.

My friend wants to brew NB's Honey Weizen - and he wants to make it a lager.

The recipe is as follows:
6 lb wheat LME
1 lb honey
1 oz tettnang hops for bittering.

OG: ~1.048

I would like to adjust this recipe to add more honey to boost ABV. Does anyone have suggestions for how much honey? Should I mix honey with LME/DME at a certain ratio?

Any tips for getting more honey flavor into the final product? Lastly, any tips regarding which lager yeast to substitute in this recipe.

You'll get more honey flavor from Honey Malt than you will from more honey. Instead of adding honey for more ABV you might add dry malt extract.

How much would you suggest?
I don't see honey DME on NB website. Could I use some amount of honey malt grain as a specialty grain? If so any idea on volume.

How much would you suggest?
I don't see honey DME on NB website. Could I use some amount of honey malt grain as a specialty grain? If so any idea on volume.

Yes, Honey Malt is a specialty grain. I'd try about 4 to 8 ounces and see if you like it. Don't get too carried away with it. You'd be looking for extra light DME to boost the ABV. Again, don't get carried away. You might need to add a little more bittering hops to regain the balance of hop bittering to maltiness.

Yes, Honey Malt is a specialty grain. I'd try about 4 to 8 ounces and see if you like it. Don't get too carried away with it. You'd be looking for extra light DME to boost the ABV. Again, don't get carried away. You might need to add a little more bittering hops to regain the balance of hop bittering to maltiness.

Awesome. I'll do 8 oz honey malt with some light DME. Nice to get advice from a fellow Minnesotan!

What if my advice is wrong?:p

I've changed my mind going to just do this all grain BIAB.

The recipe calls for 4 lb 2 row, 4 lb wheat malt and 1 lb honey.

I was thinking about just doing 5 lb of each grain and steeping with a .5 lb honey malt.
Does this sound logical?

Do you have a good source for calculating my mash water for no sparge biab? I'm unsure how much absorption there will be. My goal preboil volume is 6 gallons.

Back