Recently employed, looking for celebration recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l3lackEyedAngels

Reaction score
Man, it's been a while since I've posted anything about beer. It's good to be back.

Anyway, I was unemployed for five months (not long by some measures, but long enough) and just started work at a new company. SWMBO and I want to brew something in celebration of my employment, but I'm having trouble figuring out what type of beer we should make. Our last one was an oktoberfest, but that was over a year ago.

I'd like to do something quick and delicious with a good amount of alcohol in it. I happen to have some unopened bottles of pomegranate juice on hand and am open to using it. However, I'm not sure how badly I'd like to do a wheat beer. I have thought of some sort of pomegranate stout, but I've been out of brewspace for a bit so I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not. I guess the last concern is that I like to batch sparge, so I should avoid styles that require other methods.

So, send forth your suggestions! All this employment is getting me thirsty!

From the thread title I thought you were asking for a SN Celebration clone. After reading the thread, I still think it would be appropriate if you're into that sort of thing.

From the thread title I thought you were asking for a SN Celebration clone. After reading the thread, I still think it would be appropriate if you're into that sort of thing.
Speaking of Sierra Nevada, I wonder how long a Glissade clone would take. That stuff is delicious.

My first suggestion for a quick turn around was going to be a Hefe.

The Pom-Stout sounds extremely interesting. I might split my next stout and do half hazelnut for my wife and half pom for me.

+10000! Someone get on this recipe immediately!

And congrats on rejoining the workforce!

Here ya go, use WLP833 on it and let me know how it turns out. Ferment on the low side of the temp range and make sure you do a diacetyl rest to clean this beer up. Oh and make sure you scale this to your system.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Glissade
Brewer: biGhuK
Asst Brewer:
Style: Mailbock/Helles Bock
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 8.53 gal
Estimated OG: 1.064 SG
Estimated Color: 7.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 42.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 41.67 %
4.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 33.33 %
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 12.50 %
1.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 12.50 %
0.50 oz Magnum [10.40 %] (60 min) Hops 17.1 IBU
0.50 oz Pearle [8.00 %] (45 min) Hops 12.0 IBU
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [7.00 %] (15 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [5.20 %] (5 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
1.00 oz Spalter [5.80 %] (5 min) Hops 3.8 IBU

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 15.00 qt of water at 164.9 F 153.0 F

I ended up going with the Glissade clone. Brewday was two weeks ago and it went really well. Might be a little hoppier than the recipe calls for but oh well. I'll post my adapted recipe eventually.

Back