Rebottling beer help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueline_king

Reaction score
I bough some lagunitas nighttime ale the other day but it only comes in 22oz bombers and I want to re bottle into 6 and 12oz bottles. If I create a co2 blanket on in the neck just before capping can I avoid ruining it?

I bough some lagunitas nighttime ale the other day but it only comes in 22oz bombers and I want to re bottle into 6 and 12oz bottles. If I create a co2 blanket on in the neck just before capping can I avoid ruining it?

No, probably not. It's already carbonated. Without a counterpressure bottle filler, the foaming will be a big issue and the beer will be flat (and oxidized) in the new container.

Can I leave it open in the fridge and bottle it flat with co2? Lol is there anyway of doing it?

Can I leave it open in the fridge and bottle it flat with co2? Lol is there anyway of doing it?

Not that I am aware of.

Leaving it open will oxidize it and ruin it.

It's a pain to bottle carbonated beer even with a complete c02 set up and kegs- due to foaming. Using a counterpressure bottle filler works, but it's still important to do it so that there is no foaming. I have a beergun. Those work because the carbonated beer is bottled through the lines under c02, with no foaming at all, and also a blast of co2 is put into the bottle before filling.

Without something like that, I can't see how rebottling a carbonated beer can give satisfactory results.

When I get bottles bigger than I plan to drink in one session, I'll use a wine stopper to help keep the carbonation, and plan to drink it in a couple days.

I'm somewhat familiar with the beer gun setup. Are you saying that Using this to re bottle It will work or there's a chance it will work?

I'm somewhat familiar with the beer gun setup. Are you saying that Using this to re bottle It will work or there's a chance it will work?

No, it won't work. I was talking about transferring from a keg to a bottle, with co2 pressure. The only way to transfer carbonated beer is under c02 and counter pressure, to avoid foaming. And even then (the reason I brought that up) is that it's a pain even that way.

To open a bottle means that the beer will lose carbonation immediately and be exposed to oxygen. If you try to siphon it, or push it out, it will foam and make it worse. The only way it can be done is by using a keg (to avoid oxygen pickup) and counterpressure (to avoid foaming).

Back