Rebottleing???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dexter_craig

Reaction score
I want to send a entry of my English brown ale into the Sam Adams Long Shot competition but I bottled in Clear NCBA bottles.
The requirement is that they be in brown bottles.

Can I pour a beer through a funnel into a bottle filler to a brown bottle and recap it. Would it be carbonated still?
I think it is abit overcarbonated anyway.

Any thoughts on this?

Since it's over carbonated I don't see why not...but you'd have to work fast, so you don't loose all the carbonation... I would make sure to give the clear bottles a bit of a swirlto make sure you get all the yeast off the bottom.

Of course you'd have to start the bottle conditioning process all over again. So factor that into the deadline for the contest.

So you think your Brown is that good? I'm looking for a good brown...have you posted your recipe anywhere?

Well, I wouldn't recommend it. Not because you'd lose carbonation (you might not) but because you'd aerate the hell out of it, and end up sending a beer that would be oxidized, stale, and tasting of wet cardboard by the time it was opened.

Maybe you could figure out a way to siphon it into another bottle or something.

YooperBrew said:
Well, I wouldn't recommend it. Not because you'd lose carbonation (you might not) but because you'd aerate the hell out of it, and end up sending a beer that would be oxidized, stale, and tasting of wet cardboard by the time it was opened.

Maybe you could figure out a way to siphon it into another bottle or something.

Too bad there's no way to penetrate the cap and draw a siphon in one quick motion...like a hypodermic needle breaking the seal on a bottle of medication and drawing it up.

I can almost see something like a bench capper or drill press like thing with a hollow bit or needle and a siphon hose coming through it....I wonder if there's something like that in the pharmaceutical industry...

Maybe it would be easier to see if there's any brown glass paint available at an artsupply store that when painted on glass matches the shade of a brown beer bottle.....

I kinda think it's tasty. Nice color, Creamy/Dence Foamy head, nutty flavor and not to hoppy. Right along the lines of NCBA.
Just to enter it would be fun but I'm more interested in the judges report.
Deadline is May 15, 2008. Entries can be accepted after 4/8.

How long do you age it? Since it's a major contest entry, wouldn't it be better just to brew up another batch?

I'll gladly take the rejects in the clear bottles off your hands. :D

Here's the recipe.

Try It.

British Brown Ale
Extract brewing recipe By Craig Dexter

6 lbs. of light Dried Malt Extract 1 1 lb of Brown Malt 60-70 L
1 oz Kent Goldings aroma hops
1 oz Target bittering hops
1 tsp. Irish moss
British Ale Activator Wyeast ACT1098- 4.25 oz

Sanitize ALL equipment.
Bring 2 Gallons of water to 160 F
Place Steeping Grains in Muslin Bag and steep in 150-160 F water for 1 Hour.
Remove pot from stove top and let grains sit for an additional 10 minutes.
After steeping grains you can sparge with more 160 F water. (Optional)
Now add your DME and stir completely to mix.
Return Pot to burner and place on high to obtain rolling boil stirring occasionally as to prevent burning.
When boil is achieved place 1 oz of Kent hops in muslin bag and boil for 1 Hour.
At the 30 minute mark add the 1 oz of Target Hops to Muslin Bag.
At the 45 Minute mark add the Irish Moss to Muslin Bag.
During the boil place 3 gallons of water in primary fermenter.
At completion of boil remove from burner and add to Primary fermenter
Top off to 5-5 1/2 gallons and cool to 80 F Degrees.
Pitch yeast and you’re done.

To bottle I use 5 oz of priming sugar in 1 cup of water. Boil for 10 minutes. Cover with sanitized lid and bring down to 80 F degrees.
Then put the solution in the bottling bucket and add beer and bottle as usual.

10 Days in Primary, 14 Days in secondary and 21 Days in bottle and enjoy.

SG: 1.052-1.056
FG: 1.010-1.012

Back