reason for beer changing color?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
i few batches ago i did keg to bottle transfers using this method-

worked great and have been using this method for over a year. heres the thing, the SRM of my DIPA was around 6.7. i noticed after crackin open a 1 month old bottle the color changed significantly (to about 9 SRM), some of the flavor as well. the beer was beautiful before, then turned to what looked like sewer water. what is the cause of this? oxidation?

i just kegged another DIPA, same grist. its been about 3 weeks in keg and i noticed the color on this one has changed as well. no keg to bottle transfers yet! id say this is about 8 SRM. flavor slightly astringent, what does not taste like hop astringency. pretty sure its not infected. what could be the cause of this? when i transferred to keg i put a muslin bag over the end of the siphon to catch as hop material that would flow into the keg. never had problems with this before. i did bleed the head space as well when kegged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it be that your beer wasn't completely clear? Because yeast dropping out definitely makes beer look darker.

Can you describe the color change? Is it just the dark light gradient or is it also color changing?

Can you describe the color change? Is it just the dark light gradient or is it also color changing?

tough to say. lets picture a 6.7 SRM DIPA, something along the lines of stone ruination or a pliny. after a bottle transfer it really looks like dirty water or something. it might in fact be the same color when held to the light, but looks terrible sitting. i laughed at my BJCP notes from world beer cup because they said it was a little too dark for style. i thought they judged the wrong beer. then i cracked one that was a month old i was surpised. the thing is, this never happened before. maybe a need a new party nozzle/tubing on my keg? this one in the keg now looks fine, just darker than it was 3 weeks ago.

Back