Quantcast

REALLY strong ale after primary fermentation

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

farqy

Reaction score
ok, so my first home brew so far seems fairly successful. after 7 days i am now transfering batch to pressure barrel. i had a taste (which seems good enough), but also tastes as though it has an incredibly high alcohol percentage. the ale ought to be about 4.5% but seems more like a wine or spirit. is this usual straight after primary fermentation?

OP
F

farqy

Reaction score
I'm new but I get the feeling folks will ask you your original gravity and final gravity.

I feel you're probably right. but i didn't bother with readings. well i spose it's good time ahead with my 50% brew haha

adamdillabo

Reaction score
Might just be an off flavor. Recipe should get you close enough to guess

RM-MN

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
That might be from fermenting at too high of a temperature. Fusel alcohols will make your beer feel like it is much higher in alcohol and may also be a cause of bad hangovers.

boydster

Reaction score
Was that the ambient temp where the fermentor was located, or is that the temp that the beer? Those 2 temps can be quite different during fermentation.

adamdillabo

Reaction score
It's true. 68 outside might be 73 or more inside. I keep my temp in the water bath under 65 and inside will be close to. 70

OP
F

farqy

Reaction score
Was that the ambient temp where the fermentor was located, or is that the temp that the beer? Those 2 temps can be quite different during fermentation.
that was the reading on the thermometer stuck on the fermenting bucket