Really Odd Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I have a pale lager fermenting in my new chiller. It may be the chiller holding the smell in more, but this batch has the oddest odor.

It is a really hoppy smell (not unusual), but over laid on that is...well, the best I can come up with to describe it is kind of like a wet inner tube.

When the wort was cooling, I fished two flies out of the keggle. Could this be some kind of weird infection? The krausen is kind of odd and lumpy looking, but it seems krausens are always odd looking.

:confused:

Have any picks? Have you taken a wiff from the fermenter itself?

With the fly's I assume it depends on when they hit the wort. If it was still above 160 You should be ok infection wise.

Fermentations can smell really goofy. I have one right now that smells like, old faithful's anus. Unless you see something other than krausen you are probably ok.

Fermentations can smell really goofy. I have one right now that smells like, old faithful's anus. Unless you see something other than krausen you are probably ok.

Lager fermentations ESPECIALLY can smell funny. That is the by product of lager yeasts, and that is also WHY you lager them for a couple months after fermentation is complete, to let all those things cold condition out.

The fermenter smells like the chiller, only stronger. A whiff of that will rock you back on your heels. The flies got in when the wort was pretty much cooled, so I am keeping a worried eye on this batch.

Yeast used was S-23, I don't know if that matters. The fermentation started right on time, there wasn't much of a lag. I am hoping the strong fermentation and Magnum hops are taking care of the lacto.

Back