REALLY messed up, opinions quick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runyanka

Reaction score
I am 10 minutes into my mash. While mashing in on a 15 gallon batch I realized I accidentally put one tablespoon on PBW in my mash instead of ph5.2. Should I just scrap the mash? My mash is roughly 12 gallons of water if that helps?

I think I'm leaning that way to. Seeing that it says "harmful if swallowed" on the label. DAMNIT!

I think I'm leaning that way to. Seeing that it says "harmful if swallowed" on the label. DAMNIT!

Yep, that's usually a deal breaker.

Also, I've seen enough posts where people complain about chemical tastes in their beer when they forget to rinse out their PBW-treated carboys... I would think that a direct addition would completely ruin the beer (setting aside the poison factor).

Really sorry, man. At least you are still in the mash phase, and haven't put EVERYTHING in yet.

I've been brewing for over 5 years and this is my first mess up. Guess it has to happen to all of us sooner or later. Oh well, lesson learned, $30 in grain down the drain, but at least I won't waste my hops, yeast starter, etc.

Yeah, don't use it.

But holy crap, how did you manage that? You doing some day-drinking? :D

I've been brewing for over 5 years and this is my first mess up. Guess it has to happen to all of us sooner or later. Oh well, lesson learned, $30 in grain down the drain, but at least I won't waste my hops, yeast starter, etc.

Psh, if this is mistake #1 for you, you are WAAAAAY ahead of the curve.

Perfect attitude about not wasting everything else.

No drinking involved ... but there will be some now! That's the way homebrewing goes I guess.

Reno_eNVy said:
Yeah, don't use it.

But holy crap, how did you manage that? You doing some day-drinking? :D

Stupid containers look the same. Plus I was adjusting my new mills gap, got caught up in the chaos.

And I thought I screwed up this morning pitching 05 yeast instead of Saflager.

If I wasn't hungover from last night I'd crack a beer and pour some out for your mash.

Thanks all! That was the shortest brewday in history. Under an hour, will try again next weekend. This dunkle will be brewed one way or another. Good time to cut it off too, as I was going to do a decoction mash today. That would have been a lot of wasted time and propane.

Bummer man, but it was the right call to make. 5 years and one biggie mess up like this is a hell of a record!

Bummer man, but it was the right call to make. 5 years and one biggie mess up like this is a hell of a record!

True, I guess I has to catch up with you at some time or another. Lets just hope this isn't an avalanche effect.

honestly, in that large a batch it probably wouldn't be an issue of making you sick. The bigger issue is that the chemicals would probably **** everything up with your mash and you simply wouldn't make beer. Tough lesson to learn but one I'm sure you'll never make again!

Back