really malty beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
I want to brew a really malty beer. Some time ago I tried friend's brew that was so delicious, I had to brew something similar.

I asked him for a recipe but he said it was some kind of a kit extract ale beer that he brewed a year ago, so he didn't remember what was it...

I'd like strong sweet caramel taste and ABV up to 6%.

grains that I have are some pale malt, some crystal 60, flaked barley and roasted barley (last two are probably useless for what I want)

hops that I have are saaz, super styrian, target and magnum

I thought of caramelizing some of the first runnings in a separate pot by decreasing it's water content by 40%. I read somewhere that this technique can produce very nice caramel flavor...

I'm not sure about this so I really need some help here....

I thought of mashing at 156 F...

yeasts I have are S-04, US-05, Nottingham and some liquid white labs WLP001 california ale

please help me with a recipe, thanks!

I think to get it really malty you'll need to get some more grain. Munich malt is the most obvious choice imo. Aromatic malt would also work, among others.

Mashing high won't make it more malty, it will just have more body.

From the rest of your post, it almost sounds like you want a Scottish (or is it Scotch?) Ale like a Wee Heavy. That caramelizaton technique you mentioned is common in that style. But I've never brewed one so I can't help much there. This reminds me, I need to try to make a Wee Heavy, just because I haven't.

A Scottish style, especially one where you carmelize the first runnings by boiling them down and then adding the rest of the runnings and proceeding on to the boil, may work.

In a totally different vein, I think the "Dead Guy" clone I make is a malt bomb, too. Not in the carmelized Scottish way, of course, but very malty and rich. You could use the saaz hops.

Thanks everybody for advice. I think I will stick to caramelizing the first runnings.

I think I will make a grist of pale ale malt, crystal 60 and flaked barley...

I might use first gold hops that I have, but maybe one of you would advise better option for hopping. I never used first gold, so I don't really know how they are...

And if I want really malty beer, what would be the hop schedule? Only bittering and flavoring? Or what?

oh I forgot to ask: when to add caramelized wort to regular wort? at the beggining of the boil or at the end of the boil?

ok, yesterday I brewed this recipe:

54337613.jpg

I caramelized the first runnings and it smelled perfect, toffee like aroma. the beer is happily fermenting at the moment and I am thinking that this might be my best brew by now.

I have to say that I toasted some pale malt in the oven for this recipe, and this will definitely add some nice flavor to this brew.

can't wait to try it.

OK it has been ~2 months, how'd it turn out?

Could you post your schedule for the first runnings boil off? This is something I would like to try for I too am on a quest for massive maltiness! Thanks

Back