really low gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndytheBeave

Reaction score
soooooo, I botched up an all grain Smash Ale today and ended up with a really low OG (1.032). I decided to do a brew with Pale Ale malt (in addition to a pound of toasted pale ale malt).
Here is what happened: I got a great deal on the grain but it wasn't crushed. I don't have a grain mill and there is no LHBS where I live (it is at least a 2 hr drive away). I thought it would be a neat experiment to "crush" the grain myself in a blender - so obviously this is where the hideous efficiency came from.
I thought to myself, "meh, what the hell..." and I pitched the yeast (1 litre starter from washed S-04 from a previous batch).
I expect pretty good attenuation from this yeast, but what do you guys think about the end result? Should I ride it out and get like a reaaaaallllly thin session ale? Or should I add some boiled DME to bump it up?
I am not too concerned with with having a low alcohol beer as long as it is refreshing, but I am concerned that this may be a little too close to having sex in a canoe......

I'm interested in what everyone has to say. I had the same thing happen (almost) last week. I converted a partial mash Summer Ale to all grain and for some reason only got about 44% efficiency. Going into the fermenter the OG was at 1.036. After a week fermenting the gravity was 1.014. I don't think it'll go much lower, which if that's the case, I've got 5 gallons of 2.8% liquid.

Latest posts

Back