Really good conversion eff., really bad lauter eff.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanHolton

Reaction score
Reading through some posts recently by The Pol and Kaiser about separating conversion and lauter efficiencies, I thought I'd give it a shot to start troubleshooting my efficiency problems. Yesterday I brewed an imperial brown and had 99.6% conversion efficiency (based on Kaiser's spreadsheet) but my efficiency into the kettle was only 65%. Something must have gone badly in my sparge.

Now I have a 9.5 gallon kettle and was trying a thinner than usual mash (1.6qt/lb) and with a 16.25 lb grain bill, that put my strike water volume at 6.5 gal. With just a hair over 2 gal absorbtion, that leaves me with 4.5 gal first runnings. I'm shooting for 5 gal into the fermentor (a six gallon carboy) so I single batch sparge with only two gallons. I know, I know, I should've used more sparge water, but I didn't think it practical to try to boil off three gallons or something in the boil. To try to get the most for my money with the thick sparge, I vorlaufed 2 quarts twenty times. The gravity of the second runnings was 1.043. First runnings was 1.072. My target post-boil gravity was 1.081, assuming 75% efficiency, but I got 1.077. Not too bad, but I'd like to do better. As it stands, it's fermenting vigorously so that's good news!

How would you guys have approached this situation?

Well, you can't use imperial beers as an efficiency benchmark. As you saw, the thinner mash left you with very little sparge and that is where lauter efficiency suffers. Mash a lot thicker and retest for conversion efficiency. If you're still in the high 98-99%, then you're fine. If you stuck with say 1.25qt/lb, you'd strike with 5 gal, runoff 3, and sparge with 3.5. Again, if your conversion stays good at 1.25qt/lb thickness, your lauter efficiency will go up by a few points.

The only other remaining thing is to test for lauter dead space. How much wort stays behind after you fully drain?

Kaiser describes a way to determine what eff was left in the spent grain. I think the instructions are to dump 1qt/lb of cold water into your spent grain, stir, then drain and take a hydro sample. Use the reading with his chart - it can give you a better idea about what happened with your eff. (I plan to do this on my next brew.)

For five gallon batches, I think it is important to tweak your process slightly for big grain bills (over 14 lbs). Whether you plan to do a longer boil, mash thicker to be able to have a bigger sparge or something else.

Reading through some posts recently by The Pol and Kaiser.........
<SNIP>
How would you guys have approached this situation?

Personally, I'm quite tired of it all, and will continue to follow Noonan's advice. I achieve 92 % brewhouse effiiciecy. Noonaan's recipes are given assuming no less than 90% brewhouse efficiency. To each his own....

Back