Really cheap homemade grain mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austinb

Reaction score
I've been trying to save money on beer because my income recently dropped and by brewing my own I have managed to cut costs in half. I bought a 55lb sack of two-row from the LHBS for $55 which has helped with that. I realized though that morebeer.com has 50lb sacks of two-row for $32.50 and shipping will be free if I add a bunch of specialty grains I would need anyway to get the price over $59. As much as I like to support the LHBS $0.65/lb is much better than $1/lb and right now when my budget is tight I feel that is the way to go. I will still go to the LHBS for small items I don't want to pay shipping on.

The problem is I would feel guilty going to the LHBS to use their grain mill with grain I bought elsewhere. So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to make a very basic cheap grain mill? Possibly one that could be powered with my power drill? I would like to keep the cost under $50 if that is possible. Thanks.

Go buy a corona style mill and use that. They can be had for $30 and you can hook them up to a drill. They do take a bit of tinkering but will give you a good crush. For all the naysayers, if you condition the malt, husk shredding is very minimal.

Something like this is available at harbor freight for about 4 bucks, it just takes a while to get through 13lbs of grain!! :D

hammer.jpg

Honestly though, I second a corona mill, do the mods and it will serve you well!

I realized though that morebeer.com has 50lb sacks of two-row for $32.50 and shipping will be free if I add a bunch of specialty grains I would need anyway to get the price over $59.

Are you sure about this? I just went to the site and the bulk grains I clicked on said "Product Is Not Eligible For Free Shipping". If it is included, US ground will tack on $46.12 for a 50 lb sack headed to my zip :(

Are you sure about this? I just went to the site and the bulk grains I clicked on said "Product Is Not Eligible For Free Shipping". If it is included, US ground will tack on $46.12 for a 50 lb sack headed to my zip :(

I am pretty sure sacks of grain are not included in the free shipping offer.

But that should not stop you from wanting a grain mill.

FYI, the 50lb sacks are not part of the free shipping:
(copied from their website)
Price: $32.25 (Product Does Not Qualify For Free Shipping)

Get a good grain mill and pick up a huge load the next time you come down from Ukiah. It's only a few hour drive ;-)

FYI, the 50lb sacks are not part of the free shipping:
(copied from their website)
Price: $32.25 (Product Does Not Qualify For Free Shipping)

Get a good grain mill and pick up a huge load the next time you come down from Ukiah. It's only a few hour drive ;-)

I guess I missed that, I saw some other non bulk grain which was part of the free shipping but the bulk is not. I also think about 3 years ago or so (I think it was free shipping on orders over $50 at that time) that the bulk grain was included because I bought a bag from them back then as well as some other specialty malts and I'm almost positive I didn't pay shipping.

I actually live in Oregon now (I need to update my profile on here). I did find the 50lb bags at a homebrew shop in Portland for $35 though which is about a 1 hour drive so I'll just have to pick one up next time I'm up there.

I may try making a pasta maker grain mill because I saw one at the goodwill the other day (my fiance would not be happy if I used the one we already have) and setting it up to use my drill.

If you buy it from a HBS they should let you mill part if not all of it there. depending on your brew schedule.

If you buy it from a HBS they should let you mill part if not all of it there. depending on your brew schedule.

I am brewing about once every 3 weeks at this point. I don't think I would want to mill all of it there in order to keep it fresh. I also wouldn't want to bring my grain into the LHBS if I bought the grain elsewhere so I may have to figure out some sort of mill. I hate to go elsewhere for my grain but I am on a very tight budget and the LHBS grain is a little more expensive than other places.

Maybe I should try and convince the LHBS to try and find a less expensive option for the base malt. I'm wondering if they don't carry the Great Western because they can't get it delivered cost effectively and the HBS in Portland does because the malt plant is only 11 miles away and they can just go pick it up.

I actually live in Oregon now (I need to update my profile on here). I did find the 50lb bags at a homebrew shop in Portland for $35 though which is about a 1 hour drive so I'll just have to pick one up next time I'm up there.

This made me think you were going to buy a 50lb. bag. If so have your next batches ground on sight.

I am brewing about once every 3 weeks at this point. I don't think I would want to mill all of it there in order to keep it fresh. I also wouldn't want to bring my grain into the LHBS if I bought the grain elsewhere so I may have to figure out some sort of mill. I hate to go elsewhere for my grain but I am on a very tight budget and the LHBS grain is a little more expensive than other places.

Maybe I should try and convince the LHBS to try and find a less expensive option for the base malt. I'm wondering if they don't carry the Great Western because they can't get it delivered cost effectively and the HBS in Portland does because the malt plant is only 11 miles away and they can just go pick it up.

If your LHBS can get you 50lb of grain for $35 I don't know why you just don't buy it there. Even if NB gave you the flat rate shipping, you'd be paying more even if their price/bag is cheaper.

As for the mill, figure out what you pay per pound for grain now and what you would save per batch if you buy grain by the sack and grind it yourself. I'd be surprised if the grain mill didn't pay for itself over 3-4 bathes (assuming you buy the corona style mill).

If your LHBS can get you 50lb of grain for $35 I don't know why you just don't buy it there. Even if NB gave you the flat rate shipping, you'd be paying more even if their price/bag is cheaper.

As for the mill, figure out what you pay per pound for grain now and what you would save per batch if you buy grain by the sack and grind it yourself. I'd be surprised if the grain mill didn't pay for itself over 3-4 bathes (assuming you buy the corona style mill).

I think he is trying to say the his LOCAL HBS was $55 but he later found a er.. DISTANT HBS that has it for $35. The distant one is a 2-hour round trip.

To the OP, call the malt plant and see if you can buy directly if it is not much further than the Portland HBS! Heck, see if other homebrewers in your area want to pool resources and go buy 20 bags and split the gas cost.

Back